Compton Bassett (Upper Marlboro, Maryland)
Compton Bassett, 1936 HABS Photo
|Location||16508 Marlboro Pike, near Upper Marlboro, Maryland|
|Area||80 acres (32 ha)|
|NRHP Reference #||83002959|
|Added to NRHP||March 8, 1983|
Compton Bassett is a historic home in Upper Marlboro, Prince George's County, Maryland, United States, that was constructed ca. 1783. It is a two-story brick Georgian house, covered with cream-colored stucco, on a high basement of gray stucco. A two-story wing was added in 1928. Remaining outbuildings include a chapel to the southeast, a meathouse to the southwest, and a dairy to the northwest. Also on the property is a family burial ground.
The Hill family and descendants lived at this site from 1699 to 1900. Hills Bridge (700 meters to the southeast) has carried traffic over the Patuxent River here since a toll bridge was first constructed in 1852 by W.B. Hill. Compton Bassett was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. In July 2010 the house and grounds were acquired by the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission.
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Margaret W. Cook and Pamela James (December 1976). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Compton Bassett" (PDF). Maryland Historical Trust. Retrieved 2015-08-01.
- Compton Bassett, Prince George's County, Inventory No.: PG:79-10, including photo in 1977, at Maryland Historical Trust website
- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) No. MD-134, "Compton Bassett, 16508 Old Marlboro Pike, Upper Marlboro, Prince George's County, MD", 14 photos, 13 data pages, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. MD-134-A, "Compton Bassett, Dairy", 3 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. MD-134-B, "Compton Bassett, Smokehouse", 2 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. MD-134-C, "Compton Bassett, Tenant House", 2 photos, 1 photo caption page
- HABS No. MD-135, "Compton Bassett Chapel, Marlboro Pike (State Route 408), Upper Marlboro, Prince George's County, MD", 7 photos, 6 data pages, 2 photo caption pages
|This article about a Registered Historic Place in Prince George's County Maryland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|