Copacabana Stadium, also known as the Beach Volleyball Arena (Portuguese: Arena de Vôlei de Praia), was a temporary stadium located on Copacabana beach, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, that is hosting the beach volleyball competition of the 2016 Summer Olympics. It was erected in 2016 specifically for the Olympic Games and was planned to be dismantled after the Games.
The site has previously been used for other international sports competitions, using temporary facilities. In 2007, the site hosted the 2007 Pan American Games' beach volleyball, triathlon and aquatic marathon competitions. For triathlon, the swimming stage was placed at one end of the beach – Posto 6 – and the cycling and racing events were held between Posto 2 and Posto 6. The swimming marathon used the same structure of triathlon. Beach volleyball matches were played at the Copacabana Arena on Posto 2.
- "Discover the Rio 2016 Oympic Games Competition Venues!". International Olympic Committee. 6 July 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- Wellman, Alex (6 August 2016). "Rio Olympics bomb scare after suspect package found at Beach Volleyball Arena on Copacabana beach during opening ceremony". Daily Mirror. UK. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "Locais de Competição" [Venues]. Rio 2016 official website (in Portuguese). Rio de Janeiro Olympics organizing committee.
- Hine, Chris (August 7, 2016). "Rio Olympics: 12 things you need to know about the beach volleyball competition". Los Angeles Times.
- "At Copacabana, Olympic beach volleyball is always in fashion". NBCUniversal. Associated Press. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- Morgan, Sam (14 June 2016). "Rio 2016 Olympics: Beach volleyball stadium in jeopardy over paperwork gaffe and huge waves". The Sun. London, UK. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- Dailey, Jessica; Marani, Matthew (27 July 2016). "Every 2016 Olympic venue in Rio de Janeiro, mapped". Curbed. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- Ackerman, John (27 July 2016). "'Beautiful' beach volleyball arena opens on Copacabana beach". Olympic Talk. NBC Sports. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- McGowan, Tom (7 August 2016). "Summer Olympics: Sun, sea, sand — and beach volleyball". CNN International. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- Rio2016.org.br bid package. - Volume 2. p. 18.
|This article about a sports venue in Brazil is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|