The Frightened Lady (1932 film)
|The Frightened Lady|
T.Hayes Hunter directing Cathleen Nesbitt
|Directed by||T. Hayes Hunter|
|Produced by||Michael Balcon|
|Written by||Angus MacPhail
Bryan Edgar Wallace
Edgar Wallace (play)
|Distributed by||British Lion Film Corporation|
|March 1932 (London) (UK)|
The Frightened Lady is a 1932 British thriller film directed by T. Hayes Hunter and starring Emlyn Williams, Cathleen Nesbitt, Norman McKinnel and Belle Chrystall. It was adapted from the Edgar Wallace play The Case of the Frightened Lady, which was adapted again for a 1940 film.
The film is also known as Criminal at Large in the US.
A young woman goes to stay at the house of Lord Lebanon, but two murders in quick succession lead to the arrival of detectives and cause the woman to fear for her life.
- Emlyn Williams - Lord Lebanon
- Cathleen Nesbitt - Lady Lebanon
- Norman McKinnel - Chief Inspector Tanner
- Gordon Harker - Sergeant Totty
- Belle Chrystall - Aisla Crane
- Cyril Raymond - Sergeant Ferraby
- Finlay Currie - Brooks
- Percy Parsons - Gilder
- Julian Royce - Kelver
Emlyn William's performance was voted best in a British film for 1932. 
The New York Times found it "considerably more diverting on the stage than it is on the screen...It is a rugged shocker, and when it was not stripped of some of its good scenes it kept the spectator guessing...It is, however, a talented performance that Mr. Williams gives. Cathleen Nesbit does very well as the somewhat sinister dowager Lady Lebanon and Norman McKinnel, although handicapped by the direction, lends a certain distinction to the rôle of Tanner." 
- "The Frightened Lady". BFI.
- "The Frightened Lady". britmovie.co.uk.
- ""SUNSHINE SUSIE".". The Daily News (Perth, WA : 1882 - 1950) (Perth, WA: National Library of Australia). 19 August 1933. p. 19 Edition: HOME EDITION. Retrieved 4 March 2013.
- "Movie Review - Criminal at Large - A British Pictorial Version of the Late Edgar Wallace's Play "Criminal at Large." - NYTimes.com". nytimes.com. line feed character in
|title=at position 15 (help)
|This article related to a British film of the 1930s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a thriller film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|