Location of barrio Cuarto within the municipality of Ponce shown in red
|• Total||0.17 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|• Land||0.16 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|• Density||18,819/sq mi (7,266/km2)|
|Source: 2000 Census|
Cuarto (Barrio Cuarto) is one of the 31 barrios of the municipality of Ponce, Puerto Rico. Together with Primero, Segundo, Tercero, Quinto, and Sexto, Cuarto is one the municipality's six core urban barrios. It was created in 1878.
Cuarto is an urban barrio located in the southern section of the municipality, within the Ponce city limits, and southeast of the traditional center of the city, Plaza Las Delicias.
It is bounded on the North by Comercio/Francisco Parra Duperón Street, on the South by Ramon Powell Street, on the West by Eugenio Mario de Hostos Avenue and Marina Streets, and on the East by Rio Portugues. In terms of barrio-to-barrio boundaries, Cuarto is bounded in the North by Barrio Tercero, in the South by Canas Urbano, in the West by Primero, and in the East by San Antón.
Features and demographics
Cuarto has 0.2 square miles (520,000 m2) of land area and no water area. In 2000, the population of Cuarto was 3,011. The population density in Cuarto was 18,303 persons per square mile.
The communities of Belgica and El Bosque are found in Barrio Cuarto as are several other smaller communities.
Cuarto is home to Parque de la Abolicion on its southwestern edge. The NRHP-listed Old Ponce Casino, Ponce Massacre Museum, and Iglesia de la Santísima Trinidad are all located in Barrio Cuarto. The Puerto Rico Islamic Center at Ponce (see side photo) is also located in Barrio Cuarto.
Notable people from Barrio Cuarto
- Domingo Marrero Navarro, educator, writer, and speaker from the Belgica sector of Barrio Cuarto.
- Ruth Fernández, internationally-known contralto singer from the Belgica sector of Barrio Cuarto.
- Barrios de Ponce. Antepasados Esclavos.(From: Pedro Tomás de Córdoba. Memorias geográficas, históricas, económicas y estadísticas de la Isla de Puerto Rico.) Retrieved 28 November 2014.
- General Purpose Population Data, Census 2000. Unidad de Sistemas de Información Geográfica, Área de Tecnología de Información Gubernamental, Oficina de Gerencia y Presupuesto. Gobierno de Puerto Rico. Archived August 12, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- City Melt Retrieved, February 17, 2010.
- 10,000 New Housing Units Expected for Ponce Historical District. Belgica sector to be renovated. Retrieved April 15, 2010.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Cuarto Barrio