Currency Creek wine region
|Type||Australian Geographical Indication|
|Years of wine industry||since 1972|
|Part of||Fleurieu zone|
|Precipitation (annual average)||155 mm (6.1 in)|
|Size of planted vineyards||960 ha (2,400 acres)|
|Grapes produced||7,269 tonnes (7,154 long tons; 8,013 short tons)|
|Varietals produced||Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot |
|No. of wineries||4|
|Comments||climate & production: 2014|
Currency Creek wine region is a wine region in South Australia that is located on the west side of Lake Alexandrina between Milang, the Murray Mouth, Port Elliot and just south of Ashbourne. The region received appellation as an Australian Geographical Indication (AGI) in 2001 and as of 2014, has a total planted area of 960 ha (2,400 acres) and is represented by at least four wineries.
Extent and appellation
The Currency Creek wine region is one of five wine zones forming the Fleurieu zone which located to the immediate south of Adelaide city centre in South Australia. The Currency Creek wine region extends from Milang on the shore of Lake Alexandrina in the north east, to the Murray Mouth in the south east, Port Elliot in the south west and just south of Ashbourne in the north west. The wine region includes vineyards on Hindmarsh Island. The term ‘Currency Creek’ was registered as an AGI on 9 April 2001.
Grapes and wine
As of 2014, the most common plantings in the Currency Creek wine region within a total planted area of 960 ha (2,400 acres) was reported as being Shiraz (34%) followed by Cabernet Sauvignon (30.3%), Chardonnay (12.7%) and Merlot (6.4%). Alternatively, red wine varietals account for 75.4%of plantings while white wines varietals account for 24.4%of plantings. The total 2014 vintage is reported as consisting of 6,075 tonnes (5,979 long tons; 6,697 short tons) of crushed red grapes valued at A$4,876,849and 1,194 tonnes (1,175 long tons; 1,316 short tons) of crushed white grapes valued at A$698,672. As of 2014, the region is reported as having four wineries.
Citations and references
- "Currency Creek (AGI)". Australian Grape and Wine Authority. 2014. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "About our region". Currency Creek Wine Region Association. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Currency Creek Wine Region". James Halliday Australian Wine Companion. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- PGIBSA, 2014, page 54
- PGIBSA, 2014, page 53
- "Wineries in the Currency Creek". James Halliday Australian Wine Companion. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Currency Creek Wine Region (map)" (PDF). Phylloxera and Grape Industry Board of South Australia. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- Phylloxera and Grape Industry Board of SA (PGIBSA) (2014), Australian regional winegrape crush survey online (PDF), Phylloxera and Grape Industry Board of SA, ISSN 1442-6048, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 November 2014, retrieved 6 November 2014