Location of Cushing, Texas
|• Total||1.3 sq mi (3.3 km2)|
|• Land||1.3 sq mi (3.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||410 ft (125 m)|
|• Density||503.5/sq mi (194.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1333835|
Cushing is located at (31.813492, -94.840288).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), all of it land.
As of the 2010 census Cushing had a population of 612. The median age was 35. The racial makeup of the population was 92.2% white, 1.6% black or African American, 1.0% Native American, 1.3% Asian Indian, 0.5% other Asian, 0.5% other, 2.9% from two or more races and 3.9% Hispanic or Latino.
As of the census of 2000, there were 637 people, 226 households, and 167 families residing in the city. The population density was 503.5 people per square mile (193.7/km²). There were 257 housing units at an average density of 203.1 per square mile (78.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 95.29% White, 2.67% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.47% Asian, 0.63% from other races, and 0.78% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.83% of the population.
There were 227 households out of which 34.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.8% were married couples living together, 15.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.7% were non-families. 24.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the city, the population was spread out with 24.8% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 24.0% from 25 to 44, 23.9% from 45 to 64, and 20.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 89.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $28,333, and the median income for a family was $31,667. Males had a median income of $25,208 versus $23,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,570. About 12.7% of families and 16.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.4% of those under age 18 and 7.3% of those age 65 or over.
The city of Cushing is served by the Cushing Independent School District.
|This section does not cite any sources. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Cushing was started as a railroad town. The name came from the head foreman of the railroad. Cushing has burned down a total of three times in its long history.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Cushing has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- The Long Summer of George Adams starring James Garner and Joan Hackett was set in Cushing, Oklahoma and filmed in Cushing, Texas (as well as in Maydelle, Texas, Rusk, Texas, and along the Texas State Railroad, Rusk), and was released for TV audiences on January 18, 1982.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- 2010 general profile of population and housing characteriticis from the US census for Cushing
- Climate Summary for Cushing, Texas