Dash at the Tribeca Film Festival, 2007.
May 3, 1971 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Other names||Dame Dash|
|Known for||co–founder of Roc-A-Fella Records|
|Net worth||USD$-2 million|
|Spouse(s)||Rachel Roy (m. 2005–09)|
|Relatives||Stacey Dash (cousin)
Darien Dash (cousin)
Damon Dash (born May 3, 1971), also known as Dame Dash, is an American entrepreneur, music producer and actor. Dash is best known as co-founder of Roc-A-Fella Records along with Shawn Carter and Kareem Burke.
Born in New York City, Dash swept the floors of a local barbershop and sold newspapers in order to buy sneakers and shirts as a teenager. Dash "learned to hustle", in his own words, from the example of his mother, who died of an asthma attack when he was 15. Dash was sent to a private school in order to receive a better education. His success helped him discover the different fields he wanted to branch out into.
Dash served as Jay-Z's former manager and business partner at Roc-a-Fella Records, and in 1999, he organized a tour for Jay-Z which made $19 million. Their relationship soured as a result of two subsequent events. The first was when Roc-A-Fella Records was purchased by Def Jam Recordings (which had previously only owned half of the company) in 2004, after which Jay-Z agreed to take a job as Def Jam's president. Then, in late 2005, Jay-Z bought Dash out of his stake in Rocawear. In April 2014, it was announced that Dash is also involved with Blind Debit, a fingerprint payment application being developed by Dez White.
Dash met R&B singer Aaliyah in late 1999 through his accountant in New York City and dated her until her death on August 25, 2001 in a plane crash in The Bahamas. Though they were not formally engaged, in interviews given after Aaliyah's death, Dash stated that the couple had planned to marry.
- "Damon Dash Net Worth". Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Biography - Aaliyah
- Baron, Zach (January 13, 2010). "Welcome to Damon Dash's DD172, New York's Last Line of Defense Against "Wack World"". The Village Voice. Village Voice, LLC. Retrieved November 15, 2011.
- Fraser, George C. (2009-05-05). Success Runs in Our Race. Harper Collins. ISBN 9780061927027.
- "Dash to Solo Success for Hip Hop Mogul". CNN. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- "Damon Dash Net Worth". Celebrity Net Worth. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- Company, Johnson Publishing (2001-01-01). Ebony. Johnson Publishing Company.
- Konigsberg, Eric (19 June 2006). "Why Damon Dash Hates Mondays". New York. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Hutcherson, Lori (19 April 2014). "Invisible Apps Creator Dez White and GirlCodeLA". KTLA. Retrieved 22 January 2015.
- "Damon Dash Talks Losing Aaliyah: 'Nothing Prepares You for That'". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- http://hellobeautiful.com/2012/08/25/aaliyah-damon-dash-relationship-pictures-rememberance/ .Retrieved August 25, 2012
- Calloway, Sway; Hiatt, Brian; Kroft, Ryan (August 28, 2001). "Damon Dash Says Every Day with Aaliyah Was Special". MTV News. Retrieved August 5, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Damon Dash.|