Dash at the Tribeca Film Festival, 2007.
Damon Anthony Dash
May 3, 1971
|Other names||Dame Dash|
|Known for||Co–founder of Roc-A-Fella|
(m. 2005; div. 2009)
|Relatives||Stacey Dash (cousin)|
Darien Dash (cousin)
Damon "Dame" Anthony Dash (born May 3, 1971), is an American entrepreneur, record executive, film producer, director and actor. Dash is best known as co-founder of Roc-A-Fella along with Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter and Kareem "Biggs" Burke.
Born in New York City, Dash swept the floors of a local barbershop and sold newspapers in order to buy sneakers and shirts as a teenager. Dash "learned to hustle", in his own words, from the example of his mother, who died of an asthma attack when he was 15.
Dash served as Jay-Z's former manager and business partner at Roc-A-Fella Records, and in 1999, he organized a tour for Jay-Z which made $19 million. Their relationship soured as a result of two subsequent events. The first was when Roc-A-Fella Records was purchased by Def Jam Recordings (which had previously only owned half of the company) in 2004, after which Jay-Z agreed to take a job as Def Jam's president. Then, in late 2005, Jay-Z bought Dash out of his stake in Rocawear. In April 2014, it was announced that Dash is also involved with Blind Debit, a fingerprint payment application being developed by Dez White.
Dash met R&B singer Aaliyah in the summer of 2000 through his accountant in New York City and dated her until her death on August 25, 2001, in a plane crash in The Bahamas. Though they were not formally engaged, in interviews given after Aaliyah's death, Dash stated that the couple had planned to marry.
Dash married fashion designer Rachel Roy in 2005. They met when she was working as an intern at Rocawear. Together they have two daughters, Ava Dash (born on December 7, 1999) and Tallulah Dash (born May 14, 2008). Following their divorce in 2009, they had a bitter custody battle. In April 2015, Roy accused Dash of domestic abuse and filed for a restraining order. Roy was awarded sole custody of both daughters. The court granted Roy and her daughters with a three-year restraining order against Dash. Days later, Dash filed a $2.5 million claim against Roy in asserted damage for allegedly mishandling their joint fashion business, Royale Etenia.
Dash has a son, Dame "Boogie" Dash, with former girlfriend Linda Williams. In 2014, he was ordered to pay Williams $50,000 for causing her to be prosecuted on harassment charges in 2009. Boogie stars in the reality television show Growing Up Hip Hop. Dash also has another son, Lucky, born in 2004.
- "7 Facts About Aaliyah: Get The Scoop Before You Watch the Lifetime Movie". Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- Baron, Zach (January 13, 2010). "Welcome to Damon Dash's DD172, New York's Last Line of Defense Against "Wack World"". The Village Voice. Village Voice, LLC. Archived from the original on August 11, 2011. Retrieved November 15, 2011. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Fraser, George C. (May 5, 2009). Success Runs in Our Race. Harper Collins. ISBN 9780061927027.
- "Dash to Solo Success for Hip Hop Mogul". CNN. Retrieved November 26, 2013.
- Company, Johnson Publishing (January 1, 2001). Ebony. Johnson Publishing Company.
- Konigsberg, Eric (June 19, 2006). "Why Damon Dash Hates Mondays". New York. Retrieved February 3, 2014.
- Hutcherson, Lori (April 19, 2014). "Invisible Apps Creator Dez White and GirlCodeLA". KTLA. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Warner, Jennifer Warner (2014). Aaliyah: A Biography. BookCaps Study Guides. ISBN 9781500628215.
- "Damon Dash Talks Losing Aaliyah: 'Nothing Prepares You for That'". Billboard. Retrieved April 16, 2016.
- http://hellobeautiful.com/2012/08/25/aaliyah-damon-dash-relationship-pictures-rememberance/ .Retrieved August 25, 2012
- Calloway, Sway; Hiatt, Brian; Kroft, Ryan (August 28, 2001). "Damon Dash Says Every Day with Aaliyah Was Special". MTV News. Retrieved August 5, 2014.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Gardner, David (April 3, 2015). "Rachel Roy, Damon Dash's Ex-Wife: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know". Heavy.
- Bacardi, Francesca (April 21, 2015). "Rachel Roy Gets Custody of Kids and a Restraining Order Against Damon Dash—All the Details". E! Online.
- Gardner, Eriq Gardner (April 24, 2015). "Damon Dash Strikes Back at Ex-Wife Rachel Roy With $2.5 Million Claims". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Ross, Barbara (March 17, 2014). "Former Roc-A-Fella Records chief Damon Dash has to pay out $50,000 to his ex-girlfriend for pushing to have her prosecuted for harassment". New York Daily News.
- Muhammad, Latifah (August 31, 2017). "EXCLUSIVE: Boogie Dash Needs a 'Wake-Up Call' in 'Growing Up Hip Hop' Sneak Peek". Entertainment Tonight.
- "Damon Dash marries longtime girlfriend after getting groupie pregnant". People. January 19, 2005.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Damon Dash.|