Roy at the 2012 Tribeca Film Festival
|Born||Rachel Irene Roy
January 15, 1974
San Bernardino County, California, U.S.
|Residence||New York City, U.S.|
|Education||Washington Adventist University|
|Spouse(s)||Damon Dash (m. 2005–09)|
Early life and education
Roy was born in San Bernardino County, California, and raised in Seaside, California, as a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Her brother Rajendra Roy is the chief film curator of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. Roy's mother is Dutch and her Chennai-born father is Bengali Indian. Roy attended Columbia Union College (also called Washington Adventist University) in Takoma Park, Maryland and left to move to New York City where she worked as a wardrobe stylist and interned at the fashion label Rocawear.
At Rocawear, she rose to the position of creative director of the women's and children's divisions and met her future husband, Damon Dash. In 2004, Roy launched her eponymous fashion collection.
In early 2006, Roy received a Bollywood industry award for her contribution to American fashion. In 2007, Roy was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America. In June 2008, Jones Apparel Group formed a joint venture with the Rachel Roy brand.
In August 2009, Roy launched The RACHEL Rachel Roy collection, an affordable diffusion line of sportswear, shoes, and accessories. The label "RACHEL Rachel Roy" is available exclusively at Macy’s in the United States and at The Bay in Canada. Also in summer 2009, Roy and Grammy Award-winning British pop singer Estelle announced via Roy’s Twitter feed their collaboration on a jewelry line for the Spring 2010 RACHEL Rachel Roy collection. Roy designed a capsule collection in partnership with model Jessica Stam for Macy’s stores and RachelRoy.com in Fall 2010.
Roy and Damon Dash married in late 2004 or in 2005 (sources differ). They have two daughters. She filed for divorce in 2009. In April 2015, Roy was awarded sole physical custody of both daughters and Roy and they were granted three-year restraining orders against Dash. Days later, Dash filed a lawsuit against her, alleging breach of fiduciary duties and other claims related to Royale Etenia, a fashion company they founded during their marriage.
- "The Birth of Rachel Roy". California Birth Index. Archived from the original on April 26, 2016. Retrieved April 26, 2016.
- Alisha Petro (March 22, 2012). "Oprah loves her. Michelle Obama does too. How Seaside’s own Rachel Roy became one of the hottest names in New York.". Monterey County Weekly. Archived from the original on April 24, 2016. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- Thelma Adams (April 15, 2014). "The Moviegoer: MoMA’s Chief Curator of Film on Being Grounded in New York". The New York Observer. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
In January, you left Sundance early to jet to Washington with your sister, the designer Rachel Roy, for Michelle Obama’s 50th birthday party. Spill.
- Phillygrrl (August 4, 2009). "Rachel Roy Makes Vanity Fair’s Best-Dressed List". Sepia Mutiny. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
Rachel’s father was a Bengali immigrant who came to the US from Madras.
- Sierra Tishgart (2012). "9 Fashion Designers on How They Chose Their College and Major". Teen Vogue. Archived from the original on March 12, 2016. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "About". Rachel Roy official website. Archived from the original on April 24, 2016. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Rachel Roy. "CFDA". CFDA. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Jones Apparel Group Launches Rachel Roy Diffusion Brand Exclusive to Macy's, Inc.". PR Newswire. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- "Fancy That". Teen Vogue. Retrieved April 10, 2009.
- "ALL A TWITTER: Rachel Roy will partner with Estelle to create a jewelry line". WWD. Retrieved August 1, 2009.
- "Rachel Roy Taps Jessica Stam to Help Design". NY. Retrieved March 5, 2010.
- "Home - Mrs.O - Follow the Fashion and Style of First Lady Michelle Obama". Mrs.O. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Style.com". Style.com. Retrieved 2012-05-15.
- "Damon Dash marries longtime girlfriend after getting groupie pregnant". People. January 19, 2005. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
...wed ...over the holiday break.
- Ransom, Diana (October 1, 2015). "How Designer Rachel Roy Battled to Win Back Her Fashion Empire". Inc. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
...the 41-year-old entrepreneur...
- Martinez, Jose (March 24, 2009). "Hip-hop flop Damon Dash's wife Rachel Roy files for divorce". Daily News. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- "Rachel Roy gets a restraining order against ex Damon Dash". Fox News.
- "Rachel Roy Gets Custody of Kids and a Restraining Order Against Damon Dash—All the Details". E! Online. 21 April 2015.
- Gardner, Eriq (April 24, 2015). "Damon Dash Strikes Back at Ex-Wife Rachel Roy With $2.5 Million Claims". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 24, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rachel Roy.|