Dan Prestup in May 2011.
|Birth name||Daniel Benjamin Prestup|
November 13, 1984 |
Pequannock Township, New Jersey
|Genres||Hard rock, heavy metal|
|Associated acts||Spider Rockets, Dawn of Dreams, Rivera/Bomma, Midnight Eternal, Hair Metal Time Machine|
Daniel Benjamin Prestup (born November 13, 1984), better known as Dan Prestup, is an American drummer, percussionist, and drum instructor. He is best known as the drummer for New Jersey-based hard rock band Spider Rockets.
Dan Prestup is recognized as one of the fastest drummers in the world. In 2005, Prestup won the World's Fastest Drummer competition at the NAMM Show in Indianapolis, Indiana, earning top honors in the Fastest Feet category by achieving 858 drumometer hits in one minute. In addition, Prestup's 2004 achievement of 1,031 single strokes in 1 minute is recognized as the 21st highest mark in the world as of June 2014.
Prestup was born in Pequannock Township, New Jersey. He started playing drums at the age of 10, shortly before his family relocated to Wall Township, New Jersey. He started playing in local bands as a teenager, and featured in the Wall Township High School Marching Band as a percussionist.
World's Fastest Drummer (2004-2005)
Dan Prestup first emerged on the national drumming scene at the 2004 NAMM Show in Nashville, Tennessee, when he entered the World's Fastest Drummer competition. Dan finished 4th in the Fastest Hands category. His drumometer reading of 1,031 strokes is recognized as the 21st fastest performance in the world to date. While Prestup's performance was impressive, it was the following summer where he would make his breakthrough.
At the 2005 NAMM Show in Indianapolis, Indiana, Prestup entered the World's Fastest Drummer competition. This time, he won the competition in the Fastest Feet category, with a drumometer reading of 858 strokes in 1 minute.
Spider Rockets (2006-present)
In late 2006, Prestup auditioned for Spider Rockets, and joined the band shortly thereafter. In 2007, Spider Rockets released its second album, Ever After, which the band supported with a national tour alongside Lillian Axe. Dan entered the studio with Spider Rockets for the first time in 2008 to record the band's third album. The self-titled album was released the following year, in May 2009.
Other Projects (2012-present)
In 2013, Prestup joined progressive metal band Rivera/Bomma, featuring alongside Symphony X bass player Mike LePond. He linked up with LePond again in 2014 in symphonic metal group Midnight Eternal.
- Midnight Eternal (2016)
- Spider Rockets (2009)
- Bitten (2012)
Dawn of Dreams
Awards and endorsements
- WFD World's Fastest Drummer Extreme Sport Drumming
- World's Fastest Drummer Rankings (Feet)
- Pardini, Patti (September 8, 2005). "Wall graduate wins World's Fastest Drummer competition". Asbury Park Press. Asbury Park, NJ. p. 7.
- World's Fastest Drummer Rankings (Hands)
- Velucci, Justin (November 11, 2004). "Wall drummer snares world award". Asbury Park Press. Asbury Park, NJ.
- Vans Warped Tour Blog - Meet the Spider Rockets
- Dan Prestup - Sabian Artist Page
- Dan Prestup - SJC Drums Artist Page
- About Big Beat Studios
- Big Beat Studios Tesimonials
- Blabbermouth.net - Spider Rockets To Support Lillian Axe (Roadrunner Records Archive)
- BWBK - Spider Rockets Confirmed To Support Lillian Axe On Upcoming US Tour
- Blabbermouth.net - Spider Rockets Debut Unleashed Digitally (Roadrunner Records Archive)
- Spider Rockets Recording New Album
- The House on Hurley Pond Road (Soundtrack)
- Dan Swano - Current Projects