|New York Giants|
|Born:||February 21, 1951|
|High school:||Boston Latin|
|Career highlights and awards|
David Alan Gettleman (born February 21, 1951) is an American football executive who is the general manager for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL). He was previously the general manager of the Carolina Panthers.
Early life and education
Gettleman grew up in the Mattapan neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. He attended Boston Latin School, where he played varsity football. He then attended Springfield College, where he earned a degree in education and played offensive tackle on the freshman football team. Gettleman has two master's degrees: one in physical education from Southern Connecticut State in 1978, and another in sports administration from St. Thomas University in 1986.
He began his football career as a teacher-coach at Spackenkill High School in Poughkeepsie, New York. As the head coach from 1973–78 and 1980–81, Gettleman led his teams to two league titles, competing against schools twice the size as Spackenkill. He spent a season as a volunteer assistant at Cal State Long Beach in 1979. Gettleman joined the faculty of Kingston High School in 1982 and became the head coach in 1984, leading his team to a Section I Bowl berth.
He entered the NFL in 1986 as a scouting intern for the Buffalo Bills. He spent the next seven years working in their scouting department before leaving to accept a scouting job with the Denver Broncos after the 1993 season. In 1998, he was hired by the New York Giants, who promoted him to Pro Personnel Director the next year. In 2012, he was given the title of Senior Pro Personnel Analyst.
In January 2013, he was chosen to become the General Manager of the Carolina Panthers. In the 2015 season, the Panthers reached Super Bowl 50 on February 7, 2016. The Panthers fell to the Denver Broncos by a score of 24–10. On July 17, 2017, the Panthers relieved him of his duties as General Manager. During Gettleman's tenure as General Manager the Panthers compiled a regular season record of 51-28-1. In that 5-year timeframe the Panthers advanced to the playoffs 4 seasons and won 3 NFC South titles. This is notable because the Panthers have only made the playoffs 8 times in their 24 year history.
Return to the Giants (2017-present)
On December 28, 2017, Gettleman was named as the new general manager of the New York Giants, returning to the Giants fold after six years.
Gettleman’s return to the Giants became controversial among many critics and fans beginning in 2019. The first move he made was letting Giants safety Landon Collins sign with the rival Washington Redskins during free agency. The next move was trading superstar Wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and Pro Bowler pass rusher Olivier Vernon to the Cleveland Browns for Jabrill Peppers, Kevin Zeitler, and a 1st and 3rd rounder in the 2019 NFL Draft. This move angered many fans due to a week prior, Dave Gettleman stated that he was not going to trade Odell. In the 2019 NFL Draft, he drafted Duke QB Daniel Jones with the 6th overall pick that angered fans. Many believed Jones would have been available later in the draft. In selecting Jones, the Giants precluded themselves from selecting Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins, a lifelong Giants fan who was selected by the Washington Redskins.
- "Panthers name Dave Gettleman GM". ESPN. January 10, 2013. Retrieved April 12, 2013.
- "Bio: Panthers general manager Dave Gettleman". The Charlotte Observer. January 9, 2013. Retrieved April 12, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Super Bowl 50 - Denver Broncos vs. Carolina Panthers - February 7th, 2016". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved August 7, 2017.
- "Dave Gettleman Relieved of GM Duties by Panthers Owner Jerry Richardson". Bleacher Report. Retrieved July 17, 2017.
- "Giants hire Dave Gettleman as General Manager". Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- Teope, Herbi. "Landon Collins signs 6-year, $84M deal with Redskins". Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Wesseling, Chris. "Cleveland Browns trade for Giants WR Odell Beckham". Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Rapp, Timothy. "Giants' Dave Gettleman Repeats That Team Didn't Sign Odell Beckham to Trade WR". Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Salomone, Dan. "New York Giants draft Duke QB Daniel Jones with 6th pick". Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Braziller, Zach. "Heisman finalist wouldn't mind being next Giants quarterback". Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Homler, Ryan. "Redskins draft QB Dwayne Haskins with No. 15 pick in 2019 NFL Draft". Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- "Carolina Panthers' General Manager Finds Peace in Christ". Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- "Giants GM Dave Gettleman diagnosed with lymphoma". NFL.com.