St. Thomas University (Florida)
|Motto||"Leaders for Life"|
|Endowment||$31.3 million (2020)|
|President||David A. Armstrong|
|Colors||Burgundy, and Dark Blue|
|Athletics||NAIA – TSC|
St. Thomas University (STU) is a private Catholic university in Opa-locka North, Miami Gardens, Florida. The university offers 23 undergraduate majors, 24 graduate majors, 4 doctoral programs, and 1 professional law program. As of 2018, the university enrolls 4,223 students, which includes 982 undergraduate students; 977 graduate students; 571 law students; and 1,693 dual enrollment (high school) students. Over the years, the University's students have represented several states across the nation, and more than 70 countries.
St. Thomas University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Universities (SACS). The school of law is accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA) and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS). The baccalaureate degree program in nursing and master's degree program in nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
St. Thomas University's history can be traced back to 1946 Havana, Cuba, where it was founded as the Universidad Católica de Santo Tomás de Villanueva, named after Saint Thomas of Villanova. In 1961, Fidel Castro's militia confiscated the school's land and expelled the faculty and priests. In turn, the Augustinians fled to Miami and opened a new Catholic men's college – Biscayne College. In 1984, with the establishment of the School of Law and other graduate degree programs, the college, by then co-educational, again became St. Thomas University. The university came under the sponsorship of the Archdiocese of Miami in 1988, conferring upon St. Thomas the distinction of being the only Catholic Archdiocesan sponsored university in the state of Florida.
Biscayne College, now known as St. Thomas University, was also the former spring training home of the Baltimore Orioles.
On Wednesday, March 20, 2019, St. Thomas University formally installed David A. Armstrong, J.D. as the University's 10th president.
|The Reverend Edward J. McCarthy, O.S.A.||1962-1968|
|Ralph V. Shuhler, O.S.A.||1968-1969|
|John H. McDonnell, O.S.A.||1969-1975|
|The Reverend John J. Farrell, O.S.A.||1975-1980|
|The Reverend Dr. Patrick H. O’Neill, O.S.A.||1980-1986|
|Dr. Pasquale di Pasquale||1987-1988|
|Dr. Richard E. Greene||1989-1993|
|The Reverend Edward J. McCarthy, O.S.A.||1993-1994|
|The Reverend Monsignor Franklyn M. Casale||1994-2018|
|David A. Armstrong, J.D.||since 2018|
STU offers 23 undergraduate majors, 24 graduate majors, 4 doctoral programs, and 1 professional law program.
- School of Law
- Biscayne College of Social and Human Sciences
- Gus Machado School of Business
- School of Science, Technology and Health
St. Thomas University is a member of the Florida Association of Colleges and Universities, the Independent Colleges & Universities of Florida, the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, and the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities.
Study abroad opportunities offer students study abroad experiences in Croatia, India, Israel, Italy, and Spain.
|Ethnic Enrollment, Fall 2018||Students|
|Two or more races||3.4%|
|American Indian/Alaska Native||0.4%|
150-acre campus is located in Miami Gardens, Florida; minutes away from Miami's beaches, Wynwood Art District, the MiMo District, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami Downtown. The University Library also contains the Archbishop John C. Favalora Archive and Museum. The museum opened in 2008 and is open to visitors free of charge during the week and by appointment on Saturdays 
St. Thomas has four residence halls: Villanova Hall, Cascia Hall, Sullivan Hall, University Inn, and Donnellon Hall (currently under construction).
St. Thomas University offers athletics programs through the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) and is a member of The Sun Conference (TSC). Men's teams compete in baseball, basketball, cross-country, football, golf, soccer, swimming and diving (2020), tennis, track & field, and wrestling (2020); women's teams compete in basketball, beach volleyball, cross-country, flag football (2020), golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving (2020), tennis, track & field, and volleyball. The University also sponsors three co-ed varsity sports, co-ed competitive cheerleading, competitive dance, and eSports. Last year, 12 of its 14 athletic teams received NAIA Scholar Team honors while five of the teams competed in national tournaments. Moreover, athletes annually maintain a 3.0 overall GPA. St. Thomas University prides itself on being “Champions of Character” and has annually been sighted as a Five Star Champions of Character Institution by the NAIA.
Notable alumni of the university include:
|Al Avila||1986||General Manager of the Detroit Tigers|||
|Jose Baez||2001||Prominent defense attorney, and New York Times best selling author|||
|Miguel Díaz||1988||Former Ambassador of the United States to the Holy See nominated by President Barack Obama|||
|Mike Fitzpatrick||1985||Former U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania's 8th congressional district|||
|David Gettleman||1986||General Manager of the New York Giants|||
|Dom Irrera||1972||Actor and Comedian|||
|Ana Navarro||1997||Lawyer, Republican strategist and political commentator for various news outlets|||
|Alex Penelas||1981||Former mayor of Miami-Dade County|||
|Rev. John T. Butler||1986||Vice President of mission & ministry at Boston College|
|Kiki Calero||1994-1996||Former Major League Baseball relief pitcher|
|Vinnie Chulk||2001||Former Major League Baseball relief pitcher|
|Nathan D.B. Connolly||1999||American historian, author and professor at Johns Hopkins University|
|Manny Diaz Jr.||1994||Member of the Florida Senate from the 36th district|
|John J. Dooner Jr.||1970||Chairman Emeritus of McCann Worldgroup|
|Bishop Enrique Delgado||2015||Auxiliary Bishop for the Archdiocese of Miami|
|Andy Elisburg||1989||Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations/General Manager at Miami HEAT|
|Laurent Lamothe||1999||Former Prime Minister of Haiti|
|Paul Mainieri||1982||Head Coach of the LSU Tigers baseball team|
|Pamela Silva Conde||2012||Journalist and co-anchor of Univision Network's show “Primer Impacto”|
|Sam Zietz||1997||CEO & Founder of TouchSuite|
|Connie Sue Yori||1990||Former Head Coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers women's basketball team at the University of Nebraska|
|William Levy||1999-2000||Actor and Model|
|Kenny Anderson||2010||Retired American basketball player|
|Helen Lasichanh||1999-2002||Fashion Designer and Model|
|Vicente Dopico Lerner||1974 & 1976||Award-winning Cuban painter|
|Alejandra Gutierrez Oraa||2014||Journalist and television anchor for CNN en Español|
|Teresa Resch||2006||Vice-President, Basketball Operations & Player Development at Toronto Raptors|
|Robin Harmony||2009||Head Coach of the College of Charleston Cougars women's basketball team|
|Georgina M. Picos||1991||Immigration Judge, Houston Immigration Court, U.S. Department of Justice|
|Shirley Gibson||1981 & 2003||Founding Mayor of the City of Miami Gardens|
- As of June 30, 2020. U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2020 Endowment Market Value and Change in Endowment Market Value from FY19 to FY20 (Report). National Association of College and University Business Officers and TIAA. February 19, 2021. Retrieved February 21, 2021.
- ACCU Member Institutions Archived March 27, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- "STU 208-2019 Quick Facts".
- "STU 2018-2019 Quick Facts".
- "SOUTHERN ASSOCIATION OF COLLEGES AND SCHOOLS COMMISSION ON COLLEGES" (PDF).
- "In Alphabetical Order". www.americanbar.org. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- "Member Schools". Association of American Law Schools. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- "CCNE-Accredited Nursing Degree Programs".
- "Miami Dolphins Training Camp Locations | Pro-Football-Reference.com". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Census 2000 Block Map: Opa-locka North CDP" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. - Pages 1 and 2 - Compare to the university's maps and addresses.
- "Campus Map". St. Thomas University. Retrieved May 12, 2020.
16401 NW 37th Avenue, Miami Gardens, FL 33054
- "City of Miami Gardens: Demographics". 2009. Archived from the original on October 10, 2015.
- "Inauguration". St Thomas University. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- "St. Thomas University > Academics". Stu.edu. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "St. Thomas University > School of Law". Stu.edu. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "St. Thomas University > Biscayne College". Stu.edu. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "St. Thomas University > Gus Machado School of Business". Stu.edu. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "St. Thomas University > School of Science, Technology and Engineering Management". Stu.edu. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "Florida Association of Colleges and Universities - Board of Directors". www.facuflorida.org. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- "Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida", Wikipedia, May 28, 2019, retrieved July 3, 2019
- "NAICU Member Directory".
- "Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities - HACU". www.hacu.net. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- "St. Thomas University - Biscayne College - Study Abriad". www.stu.edu. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "STU 2018-2019 Quick Facts".
- "Saint Thomas University: Archbishop John C. Favalora Archive & Museum". Library.stu.edu. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- "St. Thomas University - Students > Housing". www.stu.edu. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "NAIA Member Institutions" (PDF).
- "Sun Conference", Wikipedia, February 26, 2019, retrieved July 3, 2019
- "NAIA Scorecard Winners". NAIA.org. Retrieved July 3, 2019.
- "South Florida's Al Avila becomes first Cuban-born GM in baseball". miamiherald. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- News, ABC. "Jose Baez: Hernandez acquittal burnishes lawyer's reputation". ABC News. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Miguel Diaz: Vatican Ambassador Background". America Magazine. May 27, 2009. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- Fitzpatrick, Michael G. "Michael G. Fitzpatrick". www.congress.gov. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Giants Hire Dave Gettleman as General Manager". Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "South Philly's big cheese: Dom Irrera "steaks" his claim in Tampa Bay". Creative Loafing: Tampa Bay. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- Horowitz, Jason (May 12, 2015). "Jeb Bush, Ana Navarro and the Question That May Have Been Misheard". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Life After Politics for Former Miami Mayor". Florida Trend. Retrieved May 3, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Thomas University (Florida).|