|Born||April 29, 1988|
Walnut Creek, California
|Height||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg)|
|Sport||Track and Field|
|Event(s)||Decathlon, Heptathlon (indoor), 400 meter hurdles, High Jump|
|Achievements and titles|
|National finals||2012 USA Track & Field Indoor Combined Events Championships: 2nd place in Men's Heptathlon, 5809 points,|
|Personal best(s)||Decathlon: 7,581 points|
Heptathlon: 5,831 points
One of the most dominant high school athletes of his time, Klech was a stand-out in nearly all track & field events. Klech won a bronze medal in a tight finish in the 400 meter hurdles at the 2005 World Youth Championships in Athletics in Marrakesh. That medal was advanced to silver when the winner, Abdulagadir Idriss, was disqualified for doping. Klech was credited with the same time as eventual winner Mohammed Daak.
In 2006, his senior year, Klech represented California High School in San Ramon, California with a national high school leading 300 meter hurdles time of 35.45, set at the Arcadia Invitational, and a 400 meter hurdles time of 50.35 set at the Stanford Invitational. He won the 300 hurdles at the CIF California State Meet, defeating both Jeshua Anderson and Reggie Wyatt, future national record holders. He also long jumped 23 ft 91⁄2 in (7.25 m).
For his record-setting senior year, David Klech was named the 2005-2006 Gatorade High School Track and Field Athlete of the Year.
Klech ran with the UCLA Bruins during his freshman year, 2006-2007. At UCLA, Klech was hampered by injuries. He only competed three times in outdoor track, and none of his marks were close to what he had achieved one year earlier in high school. He was released by UCLA at the end of his freshman year, in June 2007. He then transferred to University of Oregon and sat out (redshirted) the 2007-2008 season.
As a fifth year senior, Klech began competing in the decathlon for the first time. Despite his inexperience, he finished 16th in the decathlon at the 2011 NCAA Men's Division I Outdoor Track & Field Championships and sixth in the heptathlon at the 2011 NCAA Men's Division I Indoor Track and Field Championships. He was named a 2011 Indoor Track & Field All-American in the heptathlon and a 2011 Outdoor Track & Field All-American in the decathlon.
An excellent student, Klech was named a Track & Field All-Academic in 2009, 2010, and 2011. He was also named to the 2011 Capital One Academic All-America Men's Track & Field/Cross Country first team. With a 3.96 GPA, Klech graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor degree in Psychology in 2011. He went on to earn a Master's degree in Psychology in 2011 and a second Master's degree in Educational Leadership and Administration in 2013, both from University of Oregon.
After graduating from Oregon, Klech placed second in the heptathlon in the 2012 USATF Indoor Combined Events Championships, with 5,809 points. His performance included setting a meet-record time of 2:30.64 in the 1000 meters.
Kelch formerly spent three years coaching track & field at Acalanes High School in Pleasant Hill, California. Before that, Klech was a volunteer Assistant Track and Field Coach at University of Oregon, where he worked with the men and women on hurdles, multis, high jump, throws, and pole vault.
- All-Athletics. "Profile of David Klech".
- "UCLA Recruit David Klech Named Gatorade National Athlete of the Year". Pac-12. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- Crumpacker, John (June 16, 2007). "Klech in pursuit of 'a fresh start' / Ex-prep star leaving UCLA". SF Gate. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2014-06-29.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Goe, Kevin (June 10, 2011). "Oregon's David Klech looks to post-collegiate career in the decathlon; NCAA Track & Field Championships notebook". The Oregonian. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "USTFCCCA All-Americans, NCAA Division I, 2011 Indoor Track & Field" (PDF). USTFCCCA. 14 March 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "USTFCCCA All-Americans, NCAA Division I, 2011 Outdoor Track & Field" (PDF). US Track & Field & Cross Country Coaches Association. USTFCCCA. June 13, 2011. p. 4. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "2009 Division I All-Academic Individuals Track & Field" (PDF). USTFCCCA. USTFCCCA. p. 9. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "2010 Division I All-Academic Individuals Track & Field" (PDF). US Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. USTFCCCA. p. 19. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "2011 Division I All-Academic Individuals Track & Field" (PDF). US Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association. USTFCCCA. p. 20. Retrieved 4 June 2017.
- "Klech Named Academic All-American - GoDucks.com | The University of Oregon Official Athletics". www.goducks.com. June 21, 2011. Retrieved 2017-06-21.
- Goe, Ken (March 5, 2012). "Oregon track & field rundown: Remember David Klech? He just took second at the USATF Indoor Combined Events Championships". The Oregonian. OregonLive. Retrieved 4 June 2017.