|Full name||David McKeon|
25 July 1992 |
Wollongong, New South Wales
|Height||1.95 m (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||85 kg (187 lb)|
David McKeon (born 25 July 1992) is an Australian competition swimmer. At the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, he competed in the men's 400-metre freestyle, finishing in 14th place in the heats, failing to reach the final.
At the 2012 Summer Olympics held in London, United Kingdom, he competed in the 400 metre freestyle, finishing fifth in his heat and 14th overall with a time of 3:48.57, but failing to qualify for the final. He then swam in the heats of the 4 × 200 metre freestyle relay, helping Australia to qualify for the final where they eventually placed fifth.
In 2013 he competed at the 15th FINA World Championships held in Barcelona, Spain, where he placed 12th in the 400 metre freestyle and was part of an Australian quartet, alongside Ned McKendry, Alexander Graham and Jarrod Killey, which failed to advance to the final of the 4 × 200 metre freestyle relay after placing ninth in the heats.
He represented Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games held in Glasgow, Scotland, where he won a gold medal and a silver medal. Alongside Cameron McEvoy, Ned McKendry and Thomas Fraser-Holmes he set a Commonwealth Games record to win the gold medal in the 4 × 200 metre freestyle relay. He won the silver medal in the 400 metre freestyle, finishing behind Canada's Ryan Cochrane in a time of 3:44.09. He also placed fourth in the final of the 200 metre reestyle.
In April 2016 McKeon was selected as part of the Australian team for the 2016 Summer Olympics due to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. His sister Emma was also selected meaning the pair will be the first brother and sister to swim at an Olympic Games for Australia since John and Ilsa Konrads in 1960. He is due to compete in the 400 metre freestyle and the 4 × 200 metre freestyle relay.
- "David McKeon". swimswam.com. Swim Swam Magazine. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "David and Emma McKeon forging own path as they follow in dad’s footsteps". Fox Sports Australia. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "David McKeon Athlete Biography". Australian Olympic Committee. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "London 2012 Swimming,400m freestyle men". olympic.org. Official website of the Olympic movement. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "David McKeon Biography". Official Website of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Swimming Men's 4 x 200m Freestyle Relay Final". Official Website of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "Swimming Men's 400m Freestyle Final". Official Website of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- Jeffery, Nicole (9 April 2016). "Emma and David McKeon qualify for Rio". The Australian. Retrieved 31 May 2016.
- "2016 Australian Olympic Swimming Team selected". Australian Olympic Committee. 14 April 2016. Retrieved 31 May 2016.