David White (Scottish footballer)
|Full name||David White|
|Date of birth||23 August 1933|
|Place of birth||Motherwell, Scotland|
|Date of death||17 July 2013(aged 79)|
|Place of death||Wishaw, Scotland|
|Playing position||Wing half|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
He was promoted to Clyde manager after the Scottish Football Association appointed his predecessor John Prentice as the Scotland national team manager. After a year managing the Bully Wee, he was appointed as assistant to Scot Symon at Rangers in 1967. When Symon resigned just five weeks later, White was promoted to manager on 1 November. His reign was generally unsuccessful and he became the first Rangers manager not to win any major honours whilst in charge at the club. With the expectations of Rangers fans and boardroom high, coupled with the success of Celtic under Jock Stein, the pressure began to build on White. A defeat in the European Cup Winners' Cup to Polish team Górnik Zabrze in late 1969, which followed a poor start to the 1969-70 season saw White become the first manager to be sacked in the clubs history.
He later went on to manage Dundee and guided them to a Scottish League Cup triumph in 1973-74. Somewhat ironically the victory in the cup final came against Celtic, the team who had caused him so many problems at Rangers. His success didn't last however, and Dundee were relegated at the end of the inaugural Scottish Premier Division season in 1976. White lasted one more year before retiring after failing to get the side promoted.
White died in July 2013, aged 79, following a short illness.
- David White career at Post War English & Scottish Football League A–Z Player's Database
- "Obituary: David White, footballer and manager". Andy Dunlop. The Scotsman (Edinburgh). 18 July 2013.
- Bagchi, Rob; Smyth, Rob (14 March 2012). "Which team has played the most times in a month?". The Guardian.
- Bob Ferrier, Robert McElroy (2005). Rangers: The Complete Record. Breedon Books. ISBN 1-85983-481-7.
- "Caught in Time: Dundee win the League Cup, December 1973". The Sunday Times. News International. 23 January 2005.
- "Former Rangers manager Davie White dies aged 80". The Herald. Herald & Times Group. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 17 July 2013.