DeLeon Springs, Florida
|DeLeon Springs, Florida|
Location in Volusia County and the state of Florida
|• Total||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.6 sq mi (6.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||49 ft (15 m)|
|• Density||1,000/sq mi (380/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0281361|
DeLeon Springs (//) is a census-designated place (CDP) in Volusia County, Florida, United States. The population was 2,614 at the 2010 census. De Leon Springs State Park is located in DeLeon Springs, as is the Strawn Historic Citrus Packing House District.
DeLeon Springs is located at (29.120268, -81.352988).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 6.8 km² (2.6 mi²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,358 people, 727 households, and 569 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 346.2/km² (896.2/mi²). There were 765 housing units at an average density of 112.3/km² (290.8/mi²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 66.67% White, 6.87% African American, 0.25% Native American, 0.30% Asian, 23.41% from other races, and 2.50% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 38.08% of the population.
There were 727 households out of which 39.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.1% were married couples living together, 15.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.7% were non-families. 16.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.24 and the average family size was 3.59.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 31.5% under the age of 18, 10.4% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 18.2% from 45 to 64, and 12.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females, there were 101.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $27,422, and the median income for a family was $34,643. Males had a median income of $25,424 versus $15,547 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,280. About 14.5% of families and 17.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.1% of those under age 18 and 5.9% of those age 65 or over.
Wharlest Jackson (1930-1967) - Treasurer of the Natchez, Mississippi branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, was born in DeLeon Springs.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): De Leon Springs CDP, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 103.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- DeLeon Springs travel guide from Wikivoyage