|Executive Principal||Mr S Chamberlain|
|Headteacher||Mr A Williams|
|DfE URN||137321 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
The school was formed in September 2011 from the merger of Orwell High School and Deben High School. Formerly, the school operated from both of these school sites, before all pupils were later accommodated by the recently constructed new buildings at the former Orwell High School site, with the old Deben High School premise being closed. Felixstowe Academy's new buildings cost approximately £19 million, and were officially opened for teaching on Monday 28th April, 2014.
The school offers further education (FE) courses, primarily at A Level, but also several specialised vocational courses.
Orwell High School was a medium size secondary community school with Specialist Technology College status.
In 2006 the school was issued with a notice to improve. There was a subsequent inspection in 2007 in which the school was seen to be making "satisfactory progress" and therefore the notice to improve was revoked. In 2010 51% of Orwell candidates gained five GCSEs at grades A* to C including English and Maths. In October 2009 OFSTED stated that the school was satisfactory, but Leadership and Management and the Capacity to Improve were both good.
The Executive Headteacher, Robert Cawley, started at the school in 2010, following a period of instability and leadership change. The previous Headteacher, Peter Tomkins resigned from his post in May 2010. A statement from John Barker, the Chair of Governors, thanked Peter for his hard work and dedication.
In September 2011 the school was formally merged with Deben High School, to form Felixstowe Academy. The school is now sponsored by the Academies Enterprise Trust.
Notable former pupils
Deben High School
- Prof Paul Boyle, Vice-Chancellor since 2014 of the University of Leicester, Chief Executive from 2010-14 of the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC), and Professor of Human Geography from 1999-2010 at the University of St Andrews, President from 2011-14 of Science Europe and from 2007-09 of the British Society for Population Studies
Felixstowe Grammar School
- David Mann, Chief Executive from 1987-94 of Logica, and President from 1994-95 of the British Computer Society (BCS)
- Sir Mervyn Pedelty Chief Executive from 1997-2004 of the The Co-operative Bank (nicknamed the financial institution for vegetarian cyclists)
- Christopher Strauli, actor
- Ofsted Report, 2006, 9 March 2006. Retrieved 5 May 2010
- Ofsted Report, 2007 Archived 23 January 2009 at the Wayback Machine., 18 May 2007. Retrieved 5 May 2010
- a 26% rise on the previous year's results BBC Education Profile - Orwell High School 13 January 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Ofsted Report, 2009[dead link], 21 October 2009. Retrieved 5 May 2010
- Orwell High School Profile Suffolk County Council. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Potter.T (2010) 'School scandal head quits amid relationship rumours - Web Archive' East Anglian Daily Times, 5 May 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2010.