Deepcar is a village located on the eastern fringe of the town of Stocksbridge, in the electoral ward of Stocksbridge and Upper Don, 7 miles approximately northwest of Sheffield city centre.
The village lies southwest of the confluence of the River Don and Little Don River, and near to the junctions of the A616 road and A6102 roads, and the former junction of the 'Woodhead Line' (Sheffield to Penistone section, built for the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne and Manchester Railway) and private Stocksbridge Railways; the village was served by the Deepcar railway station from 1846 to 1959.
The Deepcar archaeological site, dating to the mesolithic period, and ascribed to the Maglemosian culture was excavated in 1962 close to the junction of the Don and Little Don at Wharcliffe Wood. (grid reference SK 2920 9812). The site's culture has similarities to Star Carr in North Yorkshire, but gives its name to unique "Deepcar type assemblages" of microliths in the archaeology literature.
A potential Romano-British settlement has also been identified near the river banks.
- ^ a b Ordnance survey. 1:25000. c.2012
- ^ DEEPCAR, Stocksbridge Town Council
- ^ Ordnance survey. 1:10560. 1894
- ^ Historic England. "Deepcar Station (501261)". PastScape. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- ^ Radley, J.; Mellars, P. (1964). "A Mesolithic structure at Deepcar, Yorkshire, England and the affinities of its associated flint industry". Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. 30: 1–24.
- ^ Sources:
- Tolan-Smith, Chris (2008), "Chap. 5 : Mesolithic Britain", in Bailey, Geoff; Spikins, Penny, Mesolithic Europe, Cambridge University Press, pp. 132–157, ISBN 978-0-521-85503-7
- Millward, Roy; Robinson, Adrian (1975), The Peak District, Eyre Methuen, p. 97
- Historic England. "Monument No. 312597". PastScape. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- ^ https://library.thehumanjourney.net/2597/169/Solent-Thames_chap-5_Late%20Upper%20Palaeolithic_Mesolithic_assess.pdf
- ^ Historic England. "Monument No. 312589". PastScape. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Deepcar.