Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
|Formed||27 July 1959|
|Headquarters||Leeson Lane, Dublin 2, D02 TR60
The Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport (Irish: An Roinn Iompair, Turasóireachta agus Spóirt) is a department of the Government of Ireland that is responsible for transport policy and overseeing transport services and infrastructure. The department is led by the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport who is assisted by two Ministers of State.
The official headquarters and ministerial offices of the department are in Leeson Lane, Dublin 2, D02 TR60. It also has offices in Killarney and Loughrea. The departmental team consists of the following:
- Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport: Shane Ross, TD
- Minister of State for Tourism and Sport: Patrick O’Donovan, TD
- Secretary General of the Department: Graham Doyle
Among the State Agencies that report to, are appointed by the Minister, or are otherwise affiliated to the department are:
- National Transport Authority
- Road Safety Authority
- Transport Infrastructure Ireland
- Irish Aviation Authority
- Irish Coast Guard
- Commission for Aviation Regulation
- Air Accident Investigation Unit
Among the state-sponsored bodies sponsored by the Minister are:
- Córas Iompair Éireann and its subsidiaries.
- Dublin Airport Authority and the shadow Cork authorities.
- Dublin Port Company
The department was created in 1959 with Erskine H. Childers becoming the first minister. Over the years its name has changed several times, but the role of the department has remained the same. The department was previously known as the following:
- Department of Transport and Power (1959–1977)
- Department of Tourism and Transport (1977–1980)
- Department of Transport (1980–1987)
- Department of Tourism and Transport (1987–1991)
- Department of Tourism, Transport and Communication (1991–1993)
- Department of Transport, Energy and Communication (1993–1997)
- Department of Public Enterprise (1997–2002)
- Department of Transport (2002–2011)
- Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport (2011–present)
- "Where to find us". Department of Transport, Tourism, and Sport. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "Where to find us." (Archive) Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. Retrieved on 28 April 2016. It also says: "Our main office is located at the following address: Leeson Lane, Dublin 2, D02 TR60"
- "The Management Board". Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. Retrieved 20 February 2013.