Desert Edge High School
|Desert Edge High School|
|15778 W. Yuma Road
Goodyear, Arizona 85338
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||Agua Fria Union High School District|
|Enrollment||1775 (November 2015)|
|Color(s)||Copper, silver, and black|
|Website||Desert Edge H.S.|
The 218,783-square-foot (20,325.6 m2) site set on 55 acres (22 ha) includes, besides classrooms and administration offices, a media center, gymnasium, student bookstore, auditorium, and career technology area.
History and construction
The first phase of Desert Edge was new construction completed in 2002. The second phase of the structure, a 90,000-square-foot (8,400 m2) expansion, was built by Adolfson and Peterson Construction and completed in 2005. It received LEED Silver certification, making Desert Edge Arizona's first LEED-certified public high school and the fourth in the United States. It included new classrooms and a free-standing fine arts center. This expansion was completed four weeks ahead of schedule and $450,000 under budget. Emany is going to this school next year.
The result of this is that the district saves $58,000 annually in energy costs and uses 1 million US gallons (3,800 m3) of water a year compared to a traditional high school. The Agua Fria Union High School District's fourth high school, Verrado High School (opened 2006), has a similar LEED certification. Since then, Desert Edge and Verrado, along with the other high schools in the district, have received solar panel installations. It was projected that some 40 percent of the entire district's energy needs will come from these solar panels.
The campus, largely for its environmentally friendly features, has won the following awards:
- 2002 American School and University Architectural Portfolio Outstanding Building Award
- 2006 "Best of Green Building – Public" award from Southwest Contractor magazine
- 2006 Valley Forward Association Award of Merit
Section champions: 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 (5x)
State runners-up: 2012
State champions: 2015
State champion (individual): 2015
Section champions: 2015
Track and field
State champions (individual):
- Tyson Jones (shot put): 2016
- Dashauen Mahlik, nose guard for the Zagreb Centurions of the Croatian American-style Football League
- Tyler Messerschmidt, swimmer for University of California, Berkeley and record holder at 2013 United States Short Course Swimming Championships
- Ismael Murphy-Richardson, former redshirt freshman defensive lineman for the Arizona State University Sun Devils
- Mitchell Watt, basketball player for Hapoel Gilboa Galil of the Israeli Basketball Super League
- AIA 2012 enrollment figures Archived November 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
|This Arizona school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|