|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Since 2011, the Government of Gujarat has been making plans to develop a smart city at Bhal area. The economic viability of the project has been questioned by farmer organisations. Several investors who initially signed the Memorandum of Understanding to develop the project, have withdrawn and refused to invest.But in the last few years, many National and International companies signed the Memorandum of Understanding to setup their projects in Dholera SIR like Tata Solar, ReNew, Mahindra, Reliance, Adani etc.
Gujarat Government has proposed a new International Airport for Ahmedabad city at Fedara. The proposed international airport is to be strategically located near the planned SEZ project of the Adani Group at Dholera. A new seaport was initially proposed, but the plans have been abandoned.
In January 2021 a monorail project to link Ahmedabad and the Dholera Special Investment Region (DSIR) was approved. The Rs 6,000 crore Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) will run parallel to the expressway and have seventy stations.
Dholera Airport (planned)
The greenfield airport is planned to be built near Navagam in the Dholera taluka of Ahmedabad district. The project site will be spread over on 1,426 hectares near village Navagam in Dholera taluka about 80 km from Ahmedabad and around 20 km from the Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR).
The Airports Authority of India (AAI) inspected the site in January 2010 to carry out a techno-economical feasibility study and gave its technical clearance. The Dholera International Airport Company Ltd (DIACL) was founded in 2013 to develop the airport. The central government approved the site in July 2014, the Environment Ministry gave its approval in December 2015.
In 2021, the Airport Authority of India released a Rs. 987 crore tender for Phase 1 of airport project. The airport will have a 3,200 metre long runway suitable for 4E category aircraft. The airport is expected to cater to not only DSIR and its hinterland, but also to traffic overflow from the Ahmedabad international airport. The Gujarat government has allocated 1427 hectares of land for the said project and 75 hectares of government land, has been allocated for commercial development.
- "Gujarat elections: Modi's Dholera dream is a tale of delay, progress and resistance". Hindustan Times. 21 November 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2021.
- "Dholera waterlogged, reconsider Smart City project: Farmers". DNA India. 13 August 2019. Retrieved 5 January 2021.
- Datta, Ayona (17 April 2014). "India's smart city craze: big, green and doomed from the start?". the Guardian. Retrieved 3 December 2020.
- "Ahmedabad-Dholera SIR monorail gets green signal - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "Ahmedabad Dholera Mono Rail project approved for seacle at Dholera Airport: PM Modi". Dholera Prime. 21 January 2021. Retrieved 29 June 2021.
- "Dholera airport work to take off in Q3 of FY'16". The Times of India. 25 June 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "PM Narendra Modi-govt grants 'site clearance' to Gujarat's Dholera airport". The Financial Express (India). 21 July 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "AAI team inspects site for greenfield airport in Ahmedabad". Daily News & Analysis. 23 January 2010. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Federa airport gets AAI nod". Daily News & Analysis. 11 February 2010. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "6 years on, ground work on Dholera airport yet to start". The Indian Express. 22 February 2019. Retrieved 3 December 2020.
- "Site Clearance for Dholera Airport Project". Press Information Bureau. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Gujarat's Dholera airport project gets Centre's green nod". Business Standard. 10 December 2015. Retrieved 12 May 2018.
- "Coming up: Gujarat's Largest airport". Outlook. 2 March 2021. Retrieved 3 March 2021.