|Studio album by The Bangles|
|Released||January 2, 1986 (US)
March 3, 1986 (UK)
|The Bangles chronology|
|Singles from Different Light|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
|The Sydney Morning Herald||(favorable)|
Different Light is the second studio album by the American pop rock band The Bangles, released in January 1986. It is their best-known album, with four charting singles (five in the UK) including a Top 5 hit and a number one. The album's Top 40 sound was a departure from their earlier 1960s-style rock'n'roll sound. It is the first album in which bassist Michael Steele sings lead vocals on some tracks.
Three of the five singles were written by someone other than the Bangles: "Manic Monday" (written by Prince under the pseudonym Christopher), "If She Knew What She Wants" (by Jules Shear), and "Walk Like an Egyptian" (by Liam Sternberg). The other two singles were "Following" and "Walking Down Your Street".
The 2008 reissue CD on the Wounded Bird Records label (WOU 4039) adds a bonus track: "Walk Like An Egyptian (Extended Dance Mix)".
|1.||"Manic Monday"||"Christopher" (Prince)||3:06|
|2.||"In a Different Light"||Susanna Hoffs, Vicki Peterson||2:52|
|3.||"Walking Down Your Street"||Louis Gutierrez, Hoffs, David Kahne||3:04|
|4.||"Walk Like an Egyptian"||Liam Sternberg||3:24|
|5.||"Standing in the Hallway"||Hoffs, Kahne, Debbi Peterson, V. Peterson||2:56|
|6.||"Return Post"||Hoffs, V. Peterson||4:22|
|7.||"If She Knew What She Wants" (cover of Jules Shear, 1985)||Jules Shear||3:49|
|8.||"Let It Go"||Hoffs, D. Peterson, V. Peterson, Michael Steele||2:32|
|9.||"September Gurls" (cover of Big Star, 1974)||Alex Chilton||2:45|
|10.||"Angels Don't Fall in Love"||Hoffs, V. Peterson||3:23|
|12.||"Not Like You"||Hoffs, Kahne, D. Peterson||3:06|
|"Manic Monday"||1986||"Christopher" (Prince)||David Kahne|
|"Manic Monday" was the first hit single from Different Light by the girl group the Bangles. It was written by Prince in 1984 as a duet for the Apollonia 6 album.|
|"If She Knew What She Wants"||1986||Jules Shear||David Kahne|
|"If She Knew What She Wants" was the second single from Different Light and was originally recorded by Jules Shear on his 1985 Eternal Return album. The song was originally written in the first person, however the Bangles rewrote the lyrics in the third person as they considered it more appropriate.|
|"Walk Like an Egyptian"||1986||Liam Sternberg||David Kahne|
|"Walk Like an Egyptian" was one of the most successful singles by the Bangles. The song was written by Liam Sternberg after seeing people on a ferry walking awkwardly to keep their balance as figures do in Ancient Egyptian reliefs.|
|"Walking Down Your Street"||1987||Louis Gutierrez,
|"Walking Down Your Street" is the fourth single from Different Light.|
- Susanna Hoffs: lead vocals on 1, 3, 4, 7 and 8, guitars, backing vocals
- Vicki Peterson: lead vocals on 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10, guitars, backing vocals
- Michael Steele: lead vocals on 4, 8, 9 and 11, guitars, bass, backing vocals
- Debbi Peterson: lead vocals on 5, 8 and 12, drums, percussion, backing vocals
- Rusty Anderson: additional guitars
- Barbara Chapman: harp, additional guitars
- Mitchell Froom, David Kahne: keyboards, synthesizers
- Carlos Vega: additional drums
- Produced by David Kahne
- Engineers: Tchad Blake, David Leonard, Peggy McLeonard
- Assistant engineers: Dave Glover, Mike Kloster
- Mixing: David Leonard
|United States||1986||2||3x Platinum|
|United Kingdom||October 1986||3||Platinum||Originally peaked at 30 on March 1986|
|Switzerland||May 4, 1986||16|
|Australia||1986||2||Peaked in April 1987|
Album cover variations
The covers of the most of the album's US cassette pressings and the sheet music songbook only show 12 (out of 16) of the "different" snapshots, eliminating the third column to best fit the rectanglular layout of cassette cases and book.
The back cover of European-made CDs replicates the back cover of the vinyl LP edition, with all 16 snapshots and the track index at the top. The back cover of the US version, however, only shows the first column of four snapshots, with the track index list occupying the rest of the space – a rare deviation for Columbia's CD issues during the 1980s.
- Deming, Mark. Different Light at AllMusic. Retrieved 4 April 2007.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: The Bangles". Robert Christgau. Retrieved 28 April 2008.
- Moses, Mark (February 16, 1986). "Off the record". The Phoenix (Phoenix Media/Communications Group).
- Fissinger, Laura (March 13, 1986). "The Bangles: Different Light : Music Reviews". Rolling Stone (469). Archived from the original on 8 February 2008. Retrieved 26 July 2007.
- Brackett, Nathan; Hoard, Christian, eds. (2004). "The Bangles". The Rolling Stone Album Guide. London: Fireside. pp. 43–44. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- Cinquemani, Sal (September 23, 2003). "The Bangles: Different Light". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 23 October 2007.
- Harrison, John (9 June 1986). "Second shot miss the spots". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 3 January 2016.
- Stichting Nederlandse Top 40, 500 Nr. 1 hits uit de Top 40, Page 234, 9023009444
- "The 100 Best Albums of the 1980s - Feature - Slant Magazine".
- Billboard.com The Bangles singles chart history Accessed: November 4, 2006
- Everyhit.co.uk UK Top 40 database Accessed: November 4, 2006
- SwissCharts.com "If She Knew What She Wants" page. Accessed: November 4, 2006
- Infinity charts German Top 20 - The Chart Of December 1986 Accessed: November 2, 2006
- Top4000.nl Chart week 49, 1986 Accessed: November 2, 2006
- Billboard.com The Bangles album chart history Accessed: November 4, 2006
- BPI.co.uk Certification Different Light Accessed: November 4, 2006
- NorwegianCharts.com Different Light page. Accessed: October 29, 2006
- SwissCharts.com Different Light page. Accessed: November 4, 2006
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (Illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 26. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. The Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA between 1983 and 19 June 1988.
Additional sources used:
- www.aurealm.com/bangdisc.htm (No longer online)