Dinosaur Bar-B-Que's Syracuse Location
|Street address||246 W. Willow St.|
|Other locations||Harlem, Brooklyn, Rochester, Troy, Newark, New Jersey, Buffalo, Stamford|
|Other information||Former locations in Chicago and Baltimore|
First opened in 1988 on Willow Street in downtown Syracuse, the restaurant subsequently opened locations in older buildings of historical significance in several cities. The Syracuse location used to be N&H tavern, and once housed a Cadillac dealership. The Rochester restaurant is a former Lehigh Valley Railroad station overlooking the Genesee River. The Buffalo restaurant is a former Universal Pictures film storage vault. The Brooklyn restaurant had been a tool & die shop and the Newark location was once a boxing club where Rubin Carter trained, Stamford was a Yale Lock Co. factory.
A cookbook with many of the restaurant's recipes was published titled Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse in 2001.
In late November 2006, the Syracuse location was affected by the Norovirus and was closed for about a week until cleared to reopen by county health inspectors. Hundreds of customers and employees were affected. It is unclear how the virus materialized. Onondaga County health inspectors did not find fault on the part of the restaurant. 
Adam Richman, host of the Travel Channel's Man v. Food, took the show to Syracuse (season 3, episode 13) on June 8, 2010. Dinosaur Bar-B-Que was the first stop for Richman, who tried the restaurant's "Pork-Sket" sandwich (which features 1/2 pound each of brisket and pulled pork). It was first broadcast on the Travel Channel on September 1, 2010.
In March 2015, a New York City law firm filed a class action lawsuit against Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, claiming the chain systemically underpaid its tipped workers. The firm, Fitapelli & Schaffer, has filed similar lawsuits on behalf of workers at T.G.I. Friday's and Chipotle.
West Harlem restaurant
- Cazentre, Don (January 8, 2014). "Dinosaur Bar-B-Que readies for its Buffalo opening, with a Hollywood touch". syracuse.com. Retrieved July 6, 2019.
- Stage, John (2001). Dinosaur Bar-B-Que. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press. ISBN 1-58008-265-3.
- "Coincidence or connection?". Syracuse.com. Retrieved April 19, 2007.
- "Dinosaur Bar-B-Que voted America's best barbecue in ABC's "Good Morning America" poll". Syracuse.com. Retrieved May 23, 2009.
- "Smaknews.com: The Leading Smack News Site on the Net". Archived from the original on January 24, 2010. Retrieved June 15, 2009.
- "'Man v. Food' at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, Heid's in Liverpool". Syracuse.com. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- "Law firm alleges Dinosaur Bar-B-Que cheats tipped workers out of wages". Albany Times-Union.