Cover of new album
|Genres||Pop rock, Eurodance, pop rap, house, disco, hip-hop|
Aleksey Olegovich Ryzhov:
writer and composer, musician, DJ, occasional singer, rapper (band creator)
Aleksey Borisovich Serov:
rapper (joined in 1997)
|Past members||† Oleg Yevgenyevich Zhukov:
rapper (1997-2002, deceased)
Nikolay Stagoranovich Timofeev:
singer (band creator, left in 2012)
Diskoteka "Avaria" (Russian: Дискотека "Авария" - Disco "Crash") are a Russian band from Ivanovo, Russia. The trio consists of Anna Khokhlova (Анна Хохлова), Aleksey Borisovich Serov (Алексей Борисович Серов) and Aleksey Olegovich Ryzhov (Алексей Олегович Рыжов). Its former members include vocalist Nikolay Stagoranovich Timofeev (Николай Стагоранович Тимофеев), who left in July 2012, and rapper Oleg Yevgenyevich Zhukov (Олег Евгеньевич Жуков), who died on February 9, 2002 of cancer.
Although "Avaria" knew only moderate success in Russia during the 1990s, they are considered to be pioneers of house music in that country, as the genre only started to appear there around 2000. Following Zhukov's death in 2002, the trio slowly lost original popularity and oriented themselves into a mainstream electropop movement.
Towards the end of the eighties Nikolay Timofeev and Alexey Ryzhov met in high school. Both being creative minds with good sense of humor, they started creating humorous material. After being noticed at a KVN (Клуб Весёлых и Находчивых, Klub Vesyolyh i Nahodchivyh, Club of Funny and Smart, is a Russian TV show, a humor contest, which indirectly spanned similar contests in schools, independent from the show), they started receiving invitations to provide entertainment at parties. Timofeev and Ryzhov's first intended musical direction was rock. At a summer camp, they created a very short lived rock band called "Огнетушитель" (Ognetushitel, "Fire extinguisher"). But both of them lacked money to buy instruments and various equipment to play rock professionally, so they had to make some money. The duo started emceeing at local clubs and liked it. During college years, the duo was involved with another short lived band called "Interview". Also, Timofeev and Ryzhov were invited to a local radio station to make their own radioshow. During that period of time, the duo started putting sketches in some songs: whenever a famous song had a part void of lyrics, they put some of their own rap into it. This was later to become their trademark in their early songs. Meanwhile, the band was asked to perform in a local club called "Электрон" ("Electron"). Noticing the bad state of their club, they dubbed it "Disaster Disco". After a few fixing, the rating of their club went uphill as it became more and more famous.
From two to four
A childhood acquaintance of Timofeev and Ryzhov, Oleg Zhukov, was amongst the biggest and most loyal fans of "Disco 'Crash'", and soon joined the duo's closest circle of friends. One night, they took him with them to a soirée organized by a company called "Kranek", and all Zhukov did was repeating the company's name during one song. As Timofeev recalls: "And during one of our song, Zhukov repeated the company's name, Kranek, with such a voice, that the audience and us fell for his charm, and since then, he joined us for good". This happened in 1991. Around that time, the band was invited to Moscow for a trial studio record, resulting in their first album "Танцуй со мной" (Tantsuy so mnoy", Dance with me), but it wasn't what the band expected. Some of its songs were later reused in their first official album. Towards 1997, the trio noticed their club was losing their popularity. They found out that a rival disco opened in town, and people there were charged half as much. They discovered that disco had only one MC, young and motivated, close in style to Timofeev. They decided that it was the best to join forces with him. That's how Alexey Serov joined the band. His first contribution to the band was recording a skit where he asked to turn the music off using lots of expletives (used later in the song "Заколебал Ты!" but with expletives covered by radio parasite sounds), and his second contribution was recording vocals for the second and final version of the song "Двигай-двигай" ("Dvigay-dvigay", Move it-move it).
In 1998, while Russia was in crisis, the band decided to record their second album (considered by many to be their first). They lacked the cash to pay for studio time, so they made a deal with the studio "Soyuz". At that time, the studio was working on a remix album for the Belorussian band Lyapis Trubetskoy called "Lyapis-Dance", and Diskoteka "Avariya" was asked to make four remixes for the album. They made three pure remixes, while the last one became a comic rap song using Lyapis Trubetskoy's chorus. The song, called "Ты кинула" ("Ty kinula", You dumped) became their first single and later, their first music video. The band then had enough money to record their first official album "Песня про тебя и меня" ("Pesnya pro tebya i menya", Song about you and me). It was composed of three of the Lyapis Trubetskoy remixes (one of them was remade for this album as an instrumental track), some songs from "Танцуй со мной", and some brand new material. Soon other albums were released and the band became one of the most popular Russian bands. Alexey Serov's law education has allowed the band to stay producer-free. Their one stint with a producer, Peter Volkov, was short-lived.
Back to three
After their album "Маньяки"("Manyaki", Maniacs) was released in 2001, Oleg Zhukov fell ill, and the band had to perform without him. 9 February 2002, Zhukov died of brain cancer. After Zhukov's death and a period of pause, the band decided to go on as a trio. They released their first music videos without Zhukov: "ХХХиРНР" (acronym for "Hip-Hop, House and Rock'N'Roll") and "Небо" ("Nebo", Sky), the latter featuring international model Katia Elizarova. These videos featured new versions of songs from the album "Маньяки", with different music, and Zhukov's lyrics either sung by Ryzhov, or dropped out. After releases of some famous singles, the band released in 2006 a new album called "Четверо Парней" ("Chetvero Parney", Four guys). It featured the song of the same name (although listed in the song list as an acronym of its title) which was recorded prior to the release of "Маньяки", but the band lacked time to put it in the album. This song was the last new song released to feature Oleg Zhukov's vocals.
Changes in style and lineup
In 2011, the band released a new album "Недетское время" ("Nedetskoe vremya", A Time not for Kids), featuring a more electropop-sounding style, and for the first time the autotune was used. The album itself was released online for free.
In July 2012, Timofeev left the band to start his own solo career. The main reason cited by both sides was a continuous strain in the relationship between Nikolay and the rest of the band. In November, the band announced on their website the arrival of a female vocalist, Anna Hohlova.
The band is currently active.
- 2001: "Золотой Граммофон"(Golden Gramophone) for the song «Заколебал Ты!»
- 2002: "Рекордъ(Record) — 2002" - Album of the year(Maniacs)
- 2002: MTV Europe Music Awards - Best Russian Act
- 2002: "Золотой Граммофон"(Golden Gramophone) for the song «Disco superstar»
- 2002: Song of 2002 Festival - Group of the year
- 2002: "Звуковая дорожка"(Sound Road) - Group of the year
- 2003: "Муз-ТВ(Music TV) 2003" for Best Dancing Project and Best Pop Group
- 2003: "Движение(Movement)-2003" - best group of 2002 for dance music
- 2004: "Муз-ТВ(Music TV) 2004" for best video & best song for «Небо»
- 2004: "Движение(Movement)-2004" - best song of 2004 for dance music
- 2005: Russian Music Awards - best group
- 2005: "Золотой Граммофон"(Golden Gramophone) for the song "Если хочешь остаться"
- 2005: "Песня года(Song of the year) 2005" for "Если хочешь остаться"
- 2006: "Звуковая дорожка"(Sound Road) - Group of the year
- 2006: "Fashion People — 2006" - Sounds of Gold award
- 2006: "Рекордъ(Record) — 2006" - best national hit of the year for "Если хочешь остаться"
- 2006: "Золотой Граммофон"(Golden Gramophone) for the song "Опа"
- 2007: "Муз-ТВ(Music TV) 2004" - best duet and best video for the song "Малинки-Малинки"
- 2007: "Золотой Граммофон"(Golden Gramophone) for the song "Малинки-Малинки"
- 2008: Russian Music Awards 2008 for "Паша FC"
- 2008: "Рекордъ(Record) — 2008" - radio hit of the year for the song "Малинки-Малинки".
- 2009: "ZD Awards 2008" - best dance group of 2008
- 2011: Недетское время (Not a time for children)
- 2009: The Best
- 2008: MP3
- 2006: Четверо парней (Four Guys)
- 2003: Небо (The Sky)
- 2002: Х.Х.Х.И.Р.Н.Р. (H.H.H.&.R.N.R - Hip-Hop House & Rock-n-Roll)
- 2001: Маньяки (Maniacs)
- 2000: Все хиты: "Авария" против! (All Hits: "Avariya" Against)
- 2000: "Авария" против! ("Avariya" Against)
- 1999: Марафон (Marathon)
- 1999: Песня про тебя и меня (Song About You and Me)
- 1997: Танцуй со мной (Dance with Me)
- 2014: В тишине (In the silence)
- 2014: #LikeMe
- 2013: Ноги-Ноги (Legs and Legs)
- 2012: Вечер (The Evening)
- 2012: Лабиринт (Labyrinth) (with Batishta)
- 2012: Карнавал (Carnival) (with Dzhigan and Vika Krutaya)
- 2011: Прогноз погоды (Weather forecast) (with Christina Orbakaite)
- 2011: Нано-Техно (Nano-Techno)
- 2010: ЧП (ChP)
- 2010: Лето всегда (Summer Forever) (with Vera Brezhneva & Anastasia Zadorozhnaya)
- 2009: Модный танец Арам Зам Зам (Fashion Dance called Aram Zam Zam)
- 2009: Планета Любовь (Planet Love)
- 2009: Отцы (The Fathers) - Dj Leonid Rudenko remix
- 2008: Отцы (The Fathers)
- 2008: Паша face-control (Pasha face-control)
- 2007: Серенада (Serenade)
- 2007: Зло (The Evil)
- 2006: Малинки (Malinki) (with Jeanna Friske)
- 2006: Опа (Opa)
- 2005: Песенка разбойников (Thieves' Song)
- 2005: Если хочешь остаться (If you want to stay)
- 2004: Суровый рэп (Severe Rap)
- 2003: Небо ремикс (The Sky - remix)
- 2003: Небо (The Sky)
- 2002: Х.Х.Х.И.Р.Н.Р. (H.H.H.&R.N.R)
- 2002: Disco Superstar
- 2001: Яйца (The Eggs)
- 2001: На острие атаки (At the point of attack)
- 2001: Заколебал ты! (You've got me bugged!)
- 2000: Влечение (Appetence)
- 2000: Некуда деваться (Nowhere to go)
- 1999: Новогодняя (New Year)
- 1999: Пей Пиво (Drink the Beer)
- 1998: Ты Кинула (You Forsook)
- 1998: Давай, "Авария" (Come on, "Avariya")
(directors in parenthesis)
- 1999: 'Ты кинула' (Alexander Shmit)
- 1999: 'Некуда деваться' (Alexander Solokha)
- 1999: 'Давай, "Авария"!' (Mikhail Segal)
- 1999: 'Новогодняя' (No name/Hindrek Maasik)
- 2000: 'Пей пиво' (Alexey Repnikov)
- 2000: 'Влечение' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2001: 'Заколебал ты!' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2001: 'Яйца' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2001: 'На острие атаки' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2002: 'Disco Superstar' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2002: 'Х.Х.Х.И.Р.Н.Р.' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2003: 'Небо' (Mikeadelica)
- 2003: 'Небо' (remіх) (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2004: 'Песенка Разбойников' (Maxim Papernik and Diskoteka Avariya)
- 2004: 'Суровый рэп' (Arni Thor Jonsson)
- 2004: 'Суровый рэп' (remix) (Arni Thor Jonsson & 'Diskoteka Avariya')
- 2005: 'Если хочешь остаться' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2006: 'Опа!' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2006: 'Малинки-Малинки' (Hindrek Maasik/Vlad Opelyants) (совместно с Жанной Фриске)
- 2007: 'Зло' ('Diskoteka Avariya')
- 2007: 'Серенада' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2008: 'Паша — face control' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2008: 'Отцы' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2009: 'Отцы — Dj Leonid Rudenko remix' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2009: 'Планета Любовь' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2009: 'Модный танец Арам зам зам' (Alexey Golubev)
- 2010: 'Новогодняя 2010 (DJ Рыжов ('Diskoteka Avariya') Remix)' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2010: 'Лето Всегда!' (Sarik Anreasyan) (with Vera Brezhneva)
- 2010: 'ЧП (Четверо Парней)' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2010: 'Звезда (Четверо Парней)' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2011: 'Недетское время' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2011: 'Нано-Техно' (Andrey Mudrov)
- 2011: 'Прогноз погоды' (Alexey Golubev, Egor Konchalovsky)
- 2012: 'Карнавал' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2012: 'Лабиринт' (Evgeny Nikitin)
- 2012: 'Вечер' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2012: 'Музыка Электро' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2012: 'Недетское время' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2012: 'Ноги-ноги' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2013: 'К.У.К.Л.А.' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2013: 'Качели' (Hindrek Maasik)
- 2014: 'Лайк ми' (Hindrek Maasik)
- http://avariya.ru/?p=biography (in Russian, the history of the band from their official website)
- http://avariya.ru/?p=74 (in Russian, history of the band as seen by Alexey Serov)
- http://avariya.ru/?p=77 (in Russian, history of the band, as seen by Alexey Ryzhov)
- http://avariya.ru/?p=71 (in Russian, history of the band, as seen by Nikolay Timofeev)
- "новости и события: 6 ноября '12" [News & Events: 6 November '12] (in Russian). Retrieved 2012-01-26.