|Lucas Leonardi, CEO
Brigitte Leonardi, Founder
Philippe Leca, CFO
Eric Dumas, CTO
Anthony Reyes, EVP Marketing & Services
|Products||Backup software, synchronization software|
Dmailer specialized in portable backup and synchronization software for a range of mobile devices, including USB flash drives, memory cards, external hard disk drives, MP3 players, embedded phone memories, SIM cards and flash-based memory cards for mobile phones.
Serving both consumers and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), Dmailer designed, developed, manufactured and marketed portable backup and synchronization software. Dmailer software products are bundled with SanDisk, Western Digital, Verbatim Corporation, Imation, LaCie, Lexar and other manufacturers’ portable storage products worldwide. Dmailer licensed its patent-pending synchronization engine technology to a number of companies. The company's flagship product, Dmailer Sync, was available in 19 languages and was sold in more than 130 countries worldwide with more than 50 million copies shipped to date.
Dmailer’s data backup software supports both local and online backup. On March 23, 2010, Dmailer launched a free version of its backup software (Dmailer Backup v3). The software application allows users to perform live backup and online backup of any storage device, as well as to back up PC and Mac platforms locally, via USB drive, CD, mobile device or external hard drive. No software installation is needed to restore data.
It included 2 GB of free storage online through Dmailer Online, an online storage service that backed up secure copies to a remote server for access from any computer. Dmailer Backup v3 restores data to its original location or elsewhere and also performs customized backup.
Established in 2001, Dmailer’s head office was located in Marseille, France, with a regional American office in Chicago, Illinois and a local presence in Australia. The company was founded in December 2001 by Brigitte Léonardi, winner of the "National Contest for Assistance to the Creation of Innovative Technology Companies", awarded by the French Ministry for Research (ANVAR).
Dmailer’s executives represented nine nationalities and ten spoken languages and international business experience spanning America (North and South), Europe and Asia Pacific.
- Lucas Leonardi (CEO)
- Philippe Leca (CFO)
- Benoit Gantaume (CSO)
- Eric Dumas (CTO)
- Anthony Reyes (EVP Marketing & Services)
Dmailer was a privately held software company that received venture capital funding from two sources in December 2007: BNP Paribas Private Equity and Alto Invest ($3.7 million). The funding provided supports the company’s ongoing R&D program, geared towards delivering efficient and productive software solutions to its customers.
Software and services
Dmailer offers branded backup, synchronization and multimedia software (see software listings below). The patent-pending synchronization engine is found in solutions sold by global manufacturers of USB flash drives, memory cards, and external hard disk drives.
- Dmailer Sync
- Dmailer Backup
- Dmailer Online
Dmailer first launched an email management application in 2001. In French, “demêler” means “To sort, to organize” and it was precisely the goal of the first software of the company: help people manage their emails.
In 2004, the company developed its synchronization software called “Dmailer Sync” that let the users synchronize their PCs to a portable USB drive. In the same year, Dmailer made its first OEM deal with SanDisk and developed a product called “Cruzer Sync”, which is basically Dmailer Sync but branded for SanDisk Cruzer drives.
In 2006, Dmailer started shipping Dmailer Sync along with Western Digital hard drives branded as WD Sync. In 2007 and 2008, Dmailer Sync was shipped along with Lacie and Lexar drives as “Lacie sync” and “Lexar sync” respectively.
In 2009, Dmailer came out with its backup software called “Dmailer Backup” which is shipped with Maxell, EdgeTech, Verbatim and Lexar portable drives. Dmailer Backup is also available for free as a standalone product for customers.
Both Dmailer Sync and Dmailer Backup are coupled with “Dmailer Online”, an online storage service that lets the users backup their files online in secure servers for anytime and anywhere access.
In 2009, Dmailer also launched a product called “MediaMove”. It is media management software that lets the user preview media files, move them from a phone, camera or MP3 to a PC or Mac and share them with friends or upload them to online media-sharing services.
All Dmailer’s products are powered by “Dmailer Engine”. Dmailer Engines are developed as a result of more than eight years of research and development. Three engines are available today.
- Dmailer Sync Engine: This enables an application to synchronize its data with Outlook, Exchange server or other PIM client.
- Dmailer Backup Engine: A file backup engine enabling developers to plug their application into a complete local or remote backup system through its backup API.
- Dmailer App Engine: This engine integrates all of the key basic features you will want built into your application such as a software update mechanism, marketing communication channel, user registration system or license management platform.
- On April 1, 2010, “Addictive Tips” reviewed Dmailer Backup software and called it a “Kick-Ass backup tool” 
- On April 7, 2010, “SmashingApps” called Dmailer backup as an alternative to DropBox
- On May 7, 2010 Jon Jacobi from PC World reviewed Dmailer Backup and said that it is far friendlier and well worth a look
Serving both consumers and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs), Dmailer designs, develops, manufactures and markets portable backup and synchronization software solutions. Dmailer products are bundled with SanDisk, Western Digital, Verbatim Corporation, Imation, LaCie, Lexar and other manufacturers of portable storage products worldwide. Dmailer licenses its patent-pending synchronization engine technology to a number of companies.
- Custom configuration: backup by file type, size and date
- Manage multiple backups, maintain log files and view backup summaries
- Password protection and AES 128-bit encryption
- Automatic versioning controls
- File selection for automatic and continuous backup
- 2 GB of free online storage
- Online folder sharing
- Supports Windows XP, Vista and 7
- Supports Mac OS 10.5 and 10.6
- Available in 19 languages
- 600-pixel vertical resolutions for Netbooks
- Available in 19 languages
- No installation required
- Allows the ability to create multiple profiles
- Skype integration
- Mobile email client solutions
- Outlook/data synchronization software
- Email backup/online storage service
- "Dmailer Launches Free Online Backup Service to Compete with Mozy-But Not Without a Hitch". Fileslinger Backup Blog.
- "French Ministry for Research".
- "BNP Paribas". Crunch Base.
- "Dmailer: Kick-Ass Backup Tool With 2GB Free Online Storage". AddictiveTips.com.
- "Dmailer Backup Works Great As Dropbox Alternative With More Features". SmashingApps.com.
- "A review of Dmailer Backup v3". PC World.
- "Dmailer Backup Works Great As Dropbox Alternative With More Features". TechNews.am.
- "CES: Dmailer Debuts New Versions of Media Management, Backup, Synchronization Software". Computer Technology Review.
- "Fast50 France Awards". Deloitte.
- "Listing of Deloitte Fast 500 Winners-2009". Deloitte.
- Official website
- SearchDataBackup.com: Dmailer Announces New Backup Software - Dmailer Backup v2.9 (posted January 6, 2010)
- Storagenewsletter.com: Dmailer Showcases mediamove (posted February 24, 2010)
- SearchDataBackup.com: Online Backup Storage Provider Dmailer Gives Away Free Local Data Backup (posted March 25, 2010)