|Born||December 7, 1984|
|Other names||The Ox|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
|Reach||73 in (185 cm)|
|Style||Judo, Taekwondo, Grappling|
|Fighting out of||South Korea|
|Rank||Third degree black belt in Judo |
Second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do
Fourth degree black belt in Yong Moo Do
First degree Vzrosliy Razryad in Sambo
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Yang Dongi (born December 7, 1984), often anglicised to Dongi Yang or Dong-Yi Yang, is a South Korean mixed martial artist who currently competes in the Middleweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2007, Yang has formerly competed for DEEP and World Victory Road.
Mixed martial arts career
Yang began his professional career in South Korea in a tournament. Yang won three successive fights (the first via triangle choke submission and the next two via TKO to punches).
Yang followed this up with a win at the Super Sambo Festival, again via TKO (punches).
Rise to prominence in Asia
Yang then joined the larger DEEP promotion. Here, Yang won two successive bouts, both via TKO (punches).
Yang then joined Sengoku and competed in their Sengoku Fourth Battle event. His opponent was Polish judoka Pawel Nastula. After 2:15 of the second round, Yang was victorious via TKO (exhaustion) The fight was slightly controversial due to Yang landing a knee in the clinch that earned him a yellow card. After this, Nastula was noticeably sluggish and would later complain of a groin problem. For "inexplicable reasons" the referee stopped the fight and gave a TKO verdict.
Yang then defeated two opponents; one in Japan and one in the Northern Mariana Islands. As was becoming a pattern in his career, Yang won both fights via TKO (punches).
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Yang's UFC debut was at UFC 121 against The Ultimate Fighter competitor Chris Camozzi. Yang began the fight with a successful takedown, followed by ground-and-pound. After standing up, Camozzi was able to keep Yang at bay with kicks, before engaging in the clinch. However, Yang's thick neck and shoulders prevented effective attacks. Later, Camozzi was able to effectively time the advance of Yang. In the third, Yang began to swing wildly, to no avail. Camozzi was declared the winner via split decision (29–28, 28–29, 29–28).
Yang faced Court McGee on September 17, 2011 in the co-main event at UFC Fight Night 25. The match was a pure back and forth kickboxing match. Yang was able to have some success and connected with some punches that wobbled McGee, in the end it was not enough to get the victory.
On June 29, 2013 Yang defeated ROAD FC veteran Jae Young Kim by TKO in the second round at Top FC 1 in South Korea. Yang followed that up with an impressive first round TKO of fellow UFC veteran Dennis Hallman at Top FC 6 on April 5, 2015.
Return to UFC
In late August, it was confirmed that Yang had re-signed with the UFC and will continue competing in the promotion's Middleweight division. He faced Jake Collier at UFC Fight Night 79 on November 28, 2015. He won the fight via TKO in the second round.
Yang was expected to face promotional newcomer Ryan Janes on October 15, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 97. However, the promotion announced on October 6 that they had cancelled the event entirely.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||13 wins||3 losses|
|Win||13–3||Jake Collier||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Masvidal||November 28, 2015||2||1:50||Seoul, South Korea|
|Win||12–3||Dennis Hallman||TKO (punches)||Top FC 6: Unbreakable Dream||April 5, 2015||1||3:25||Seoul, South Korea|
|Win||11–3||Jae Young Kim||TKO (body kicks and punches)||Top FC 1: Original||June 29, 2013||2||4:06||Seoul, South Korea|
|Loss||10–3||Brad Tavares||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier||May 15, 2012||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Loss||10–2||Court McGee||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Shields vs. Ellenberger||September 17, 2011||3||5:00||New Orleans, Louisiana, United States|
|Win||10–1||Rob Kimmons||TKO (punches)||UFC Live: Sanchez vs. Kampmann||March 3, 2011||2||4:47||Louisville, Kentucky, United States|
|Loss||9–1||Chris Camozzi||Decision (split)||UFC 121||October 23, 2010||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||9–0||Bill Saures||TKO (punches)||Trench Warz 12: Battle Brawl||May 21, 2010||1||1:07||Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands||Middleweight debut.|
|Win||8–0||Ryuta Noji||TKO (punches)||Heat 8||December 14, 2008||2||3:17||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||7–0||Pawel Nastula||TKO (exhaustion)||World Victory Road Presents: Sengoku 4||August 24, 2008||2||2:15||Saitama, Japan|
|Win||6–0||Keigo Takamori||TKO (punches)||Deep: 31 Impact||August 5, 2007||1||1:57||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||5–0||Junpei Hamada||TKO (punches)||Deep: CMA Festival 2||July 23, 2007||1||3:56||Tokyo, Japan|
|Win||4–0||Chang Seob Lee||TKO (punches)||Super Sambo Festival||June 24, 2007||3||4:56||Gyeongju, South Korea|
|Win||3–0||Yun Seob Kwak||TKO (punches)||WXF: North Jeolla MMA Championships||June 2, 2007||2||2:35||North Jeolla, South Korea|
|Win||2–0||Dool Hee Lee||TKO (punches)||WXF: North Jeolla MMA Championships||June 2, 2007||1||1:36||North Jeolla, South Korea|
|Win||1–0||Hyung Kyo Lee||Submission (triangle choke)||WXF: North Jeolla MMA Championships||June 2, 2007||1||1:40||North Jeolla, South Korea|
- "Takanori Gomi wins at Sengoku Fourth Battle". mmajunkie.com. August 24, 2008.
- "Gomi, Trigg get wins; Schultz knocked out". sherdog.com. August 24, 2008.
- "Undefeated Korean middleweight Dong Yi Yang inks deal with UFC". mmajunkie.com. June 29, 2010.
- "Exclusive: Dongi Yang vs. Chris Camozzi added to UFC 121". cagepotato.com. July 20, 2010.
- "UFC 121 Preliminary card recap: McGee taps Jensen, Lawlor smothers Cote". mmajunkie.com. October 23, 2010.
- "Rob Kimmons vs. Dongi Yang Latest Addition to UFC on Versus 3 Card". mmaweekly.com. January 10, 2011.
- "Yang vs. McGee added to UFC Fight Night 25". mmajunkie.com. May 26, 2011.
- "UFC on Fuel TV: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier". ufc.com. March 12, 2012.
- Anton Tabuena (June 4, 2012). "UFC Releases Several Fighters From Their Roster". bloodyelbow.com.
- Rob Tatum (August 24, 2015). "Dongi Yang vs. Jake Collier Added to UFC Fight Night 79 in Seoul". combatpress.com.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-11-28). "UFC Fight Night 79 results: Dongi Yang TKOs Jake Collier in second". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-11-28.
- Staff (2016-09-03). "Moontasri vs. Morono, Yang vs. Janes announced for UFC Fight Night 97". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2016-09-03.
- Staff (2016-10-06). "UFC Fight Night Manila: Lamas vs. Penn to be rescheduled". ufc.com. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- Staff (2016-10-06). "After B.J. Penn's withdrawal, UFC cancels next week's UFC Fight Night 97 event in Philippines". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-10-06.