|Born||Christopher Allen Camozzi|
November 20, 1986
Alameda, California, United States
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13.2 st)|
|Reach||76.5 in (194 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Lakewood, Colorado, United States|
|Team||FactoryX Muay Thai|
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Christopher Allen "Chris" Camozzi (born November 20, 1986) is an American professional Glory kickboxer and mixed martial artist formerly competing in the Middleweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional MMA competitor since 2006, Camozzi has formerly competed for the MFC, Shark Fights, HDNet Fights, and was also a contestant on Spike TV's 11th season of The Ultimate Fighter in 2010.
- 1 Background
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Championships and accomplishments
- 5 Mixed martial arts record
- 6 Kickboxing record
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Camozzi is from Alameda, California and competed in wrestling and rugby in high school. Camozzi then continued his rugby career at Fort Lewis College but soon dropped out and headed back home to train in Muay Thai and Brazilian jiu-jitsu. A coach of Camozzi's, who had fought in some of the earlier UFC events, asked Camozzi if he was interested in mixed martial arts, and Camozzi soon began his career.
Mixed martial arts career
Camozzi fought former Ultimate Fighter competitor Jesse Taylor for the King of Champions Middleweight Championship. After three rounds, the judges declared Taylor the winner, giving him the title.
The Ultimate Fighter
Camozzi signed to take part in the eleventh season of the Ultimate Fighter. Camozzi's preliminary fight to get into the house was against Victor O'Donnell. After three hard-fought rounds between the two of them, Camozzi was declared the winner. However, the damage to both competitors was noticeable, with O'Donnell walking away with a severely fractured orbital bone and Camozzi entering the house with a broken jaw.
This damage to Camozzi proved to be the end of his run on the show, as during the third episode of the season, Dana White informed Camozzi that he had to withdraw from the competition due to his injury. Seth Baczynski stepped in as Camozzi's replacement.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Though Camozzi was removed from the show, he fought at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale against James Hammortree. Camozzi won a unanimous decision (29–28, 30–27, 30–27).
Camozzi's next fight was at UFC 121 against Korean UFC newcomer Dongi Yang. Yang began the fight with a successful takedown, followed by ground-and-pound. After standing up, Camozzi was able to keep Yang at bay with kicks, before engaging in the clinch. However, Yang's thick neck and shoulders prevented effective attacks. Later, Camozzi was able to effectively time the advance of Yang. In the third, Yang began to tire and swing wildly, to no avail. Camozzi was declared the winner via split decision (29–28, 28–29, 29–28).
Following his release from the UFC, Camozzi faced Joey Villaseñor at Shark Fights 15. The fight was initially ruled a draw, but was subsequently overturned and counted as a split decision win for Camozzi by the New Mexico Athletic Commission when it was revealed one of the judge's scores was added incorrectly.
Return to the UFC
It was announced on September 12 that Camozzi had re-signed with the UFC. He faced UFC newcomer Francis Carmont on October 29, 2011, at UFC 137. After a back and forth fight, Camozzi lost via unanimous decision.
Camozzi faced Nick Catone on June 22, 2012, at UFC on FX 4. In the third round, Camozzi struck Catone with a knee to the head opening a giant cut, causing the doctor to step in and force a TKO (doctor stoppage) at 1:51 of the third round.
Camozzi was expected to face Cezar Ferreira on May 18, 2013, at UFC on FX 8, replacing an injured C.B. Dollaway. However, on April 7, Ferreira pulled out of the fight as well, citing an injury and was replaced by Rafael Natal. Then in early May, Camozzi was pulled from the matchup with Natal in favor of a matchup with Ronaldo Souza after Souza's scheduled opponent Costas Philippou pulled out of the bout with an injury. He lost the fight via technical submission due to an arm-triangle choke submission in the first round.
After losing four consecutive fights Camozzi was released by the UFC for a second time.
Third UFC Stint
On the heels of two wins on the regional circuit, Camozzi replaced an injured Yoel Romero and faced Ronaldo Souza in a rematch on April 18, 2015, at UFC on Fox 15. He lost the fight via submission due to an armbar in the first round.
Camozzi next faced Joe Riggs on February 21, 2016, at UFC Fight Night 83. He won the fight via TKO in the first round due to a series of knees. He was also awarded a Performance of the Night bonus.
Camozzi was expected to face Magnus Cedenblad on May 28, 2017, at UFC Fight Night 109. However, Cedenblad was removed from the card on 27 March and replaced by Trevor Smith. He lost the fight by unanimous decision.
On June 2, 2017, Camozzi announced the expiry of his UFC contract and that he is now a free agent.
Absolute Championship Berkut
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Prize Fighting Championship
- Prize FC Middleweight Championship (One time)
- One successful title defense
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|37 matches||24 wins||13 losses|
|Loss||24–13||Trevor Smith||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Gustafsson vs. Teixeira||May 28, 2017||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Loss||24–12||Dan Kelly||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Brunson||November 27, 2016||3||5:00||Melbourne, Australia|
|Loss||24–11||Thales Leites||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Rodríguez vs. Caceres||August 6, 2016||3||2:58||Salt Lake City, Utah, United States|
|Win||24–10||Vitor Miranda||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Almeida vs. Garbrandt||May 29, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||23–10||Joe Riggs||TKO (knees)||UFC Fight Night: Cowboy vs. Cowboy||February 21, 2016||1||0:26||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||22–10||Tom Watson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux||August 8, 2015||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Watson was deducted one point in round two for groin strikes.|
|Loss||21–10||Ronaldo Souza||Submission (armbar)||UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold||April 18, 2015||1||2:33||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||21–9||Wes Swofford||TKO (leg kick)||Prize FC 8||March 6, 2015||1||1:25||Denver, Colorado, United States||Defended the Prize FC Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||20–9||Jeremy Kimball||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Prize FC 7: Rock N' Rumble||November 21, 2014||1||3:33||Denver, Colorado, United States||Won the Prize FC Middleweight Championship.|
|Loss||19–9||Rafael Natal||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Jacare vs. Mousasi||September 5, 2014||3||5:00||Mashantucket, Connecticut, United States|
|Loss||19–8||Bruno Santos||Decision (split)||UFC 175||July 5, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||19–7||Lorenz Larkin||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||3||5:00||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Loss||19–6||Ronaldo Souza||Technical Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Rockhold||May 18, 2013||1||3:37||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil|
|Win||19–5||Nick Ring||Decision (split)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||18–5||Luiz Cané||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||3||5:00||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||17–5||Nick Catone||TKO (doctor stoppage)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||3||1:51||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||16–5||Dustin Jacoby||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||3||1:08||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||15–5||Francis Carmont||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 137||October 29, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–4||Joey Villaseñor||Decision (split)||Shark Fights 15: Villaseñor vs Camozzi||May 27, 2011||3||5:00||Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States||Initial result was incorrectly scored a draw.|
|Loss||14–4||Kyle Noke||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 127||February 27, 2011||1||1:35||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||14–3||Dongi Yang||Decision (split)||UFC 121||October 23, 2010||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Win||13–3||James Hammortree||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale||June 19, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–3||Chad Reiner||Submission (anaconda choke)||King of Champions: Rage||November 14, 2009||2||4:55||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||11–3||Darin Brudigan||Submission (triangle choke)||VFC 27: Mayhem||May 1, 2009||1||4:34||Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States|
|Loss||10–3||Jesse Taylor||Decision (unanimous)||King of Champions: Shockwave 2009||March 28, 2009||3||5:00||Denver, Colorado, United States||For the King of Champions Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||10–2||Victor Moreno||Submission (guillotine choke)||MTXAFN 2: Evolution||January 9, 2009||2||0:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–2||Elliot Duff||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 18: Famous||September 26, 2008||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||8–2||Nick Rossborough||Submission (triangle choke)||Premier Championship Fighting 3||June 21, 2008||3||2:46||Longmont, Colorado, United States|
|Win||8–1||Dwayne Lewis||Decision (unanimous)||MFC 16: Anger Management||May 9, 2008||3||5:00||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Loss||7–1||Jesse Forbes||Submission (armbar)||MFC 15: Rags to Riches||February 22, 2008||3||1:45||Edmonton, Alberta, Canada|
|Win||7–0||Donnie Liles||TKO (punches)||Elite Fighting Extreme 1||November 10, 2007||1||4:58||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||6–0||Tony Barker||TKO (punches)||RMBB & PCF 1||October 16, 2007||2||2:22||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||5–0||Aaron Truxell||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Tap or Snap||August 18, 2007||1||1:45||Castle Rock, Colorado, United States|
|Win||4–0||Spencer Hooker||Decision (split)||Kickdown Classic 37||May 12, 2007||3||5:00||Loveland, Colorado, United States|
|Win||3–0||Joe Serna||Verbal Submission (knee injury)||RMBB: Nuclear Assault||March 17, 2007||2||0:50||Sheridan, Colorado, United States|
|Win||2–0||Gary Borum||TKO (punches)||Kickdown Classic 35||March 2, 2007||1||3:19||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Win||1–0||Damon Clark||TKO (punches)||Kickdown Classic 27||July 15, 2006||1||3:03||Denver, Colorado, United States|
Mixed martial arts exhibition record
|Exhibition record breakdown|
|1 match||1 win||0 losses|
|Win||1–0||Victor O'Donnell||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz||March 31, 2010 (air date)||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada||Elimination bout.|
|Professional kickboxing record|
|3 wins (2 KOs), 1 loss, 0 draw|
|2018-11-02||Win||Myron Dennis||Glory 61: New York||New York City, New York, United States||Decision (Unanimous)||3||3:00||3–1|
|2018-08-10||Win||John King||Glory 56: Denver||Broomfield, Colorado, United States||TKO (strikes)||2||2:48||2–1|
|2018-03-31||Loss||Mike Lemaire||Glory 52: Los Angeles||Los Angeles, California, United States||Decision (Unanimous)||3||3:00||1–1|
|2017-12-01||Win||Kyle Weickhardt||Glory 48: New York||New York City, New York United States||TKO (Corner Stoppage)||2||3:00||1–0|
Legend: Win Loss Draw/No contest Notes
- "UFC Fight Night's Chris Camozzi: When Opportunity Comes Knocking". The MMA Corner. November 4, 2013.
- "The Ultimate Fighter 11 cast unveiled with 28 middleweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2010-03-03.
- "TUF 11 Finale prelims include Tavares vs. Baczynski, Camozzi vs Hammortree". MMAJunkie.com. June 9, 2010. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- "Exclusive: Dongi Yang vs. Chris Camozzi added to UFC 121". cagepotato.com. July 20, 2010.
- "Kyle Noke Heads Home To Australia To Face Chris Camozzi At UFC 127". MMAWeekly.com. 29 November 2010.
- "UFC cuts middleweight Chris Camozzi after recent loss". mmajunkie.com. March 23, 2011.
- "Chris Camozzi now victorious after New Mexico Athletic Commission overturns draw". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- "Camozzi Rejoins UFC, Faces GSP Teammate Carmont on Oct. 29". Shedog. Retrieved 13 September 2011.
- "Dustin Jacoby vs. Chris Camozzi added to UFC on Fox 2". MMAJunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2012-01-08. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- Myers, Thomas (March 20, 2012). "UFC on FX 4: Nick Catone vs Chris Camozzi bout in the works for N.J. fight card". MMAMania.com. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (July 8, 2012). "Chris Camozzi vs. Buddy Roberts On Tap for UFC 150 in Denver". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Martin, Damon (July 25, 2012). "Rousimar Palhares Out; Buddy Roberts In Against Yushin Okami at UFC 150". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved July 25, 2012.
- "Luiz Cane meets middleweight Chris Camozzi at UFC 153 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. August 1, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-08-04.
- "Chris Camozzi vs. Nick Ring joins UFC 158 lineup". mmajunkie.com. January 5, 2013.
- "Chris Camozzi in for injured C.B. Dollaway vs. Cezar Ferreira at UFC on FX 8". mmajunkie.com. April 1, 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-04-03.
- "Chris Camozzi vs. Rafael Natal slated for UFC on FX 8 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. 2013-04-07. Retrieved 2013-04-07.
- Ariel Helwani (May 3, 2013). "Injury forces Costa Philippou out of 'Jacare' Souza fight at UFC on FX 8". mmafighting.com. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- John Petit (August 23, 2013). "Chris Camozzi Meets Lorenz Larkin In Kentucky". fighters.com. Archived from the original on May 19, 2014. Retrieved August 23, 2013.
- Alex Schlinsky. "UFC Fight Night 39: Abu Dhabi adds ten fights". fansided.com. Retrieved 2014-02-25.
- John Morgan (2014-04-10). "Illness scraps Andrew Craig vs. Chris Camozzi at UFC Fight Night 39". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-10.
- Jason Floyd (2014-05-16). "Chris Camozzi vs. Bruno Santos scheduled for UFC 175". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- Guilherme Cruz (2014-07-11). "Chris Camozzi vs. Rafael Natal set for UFC Fight Night 50". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- John Morgan (2014-09-05). "UFC Fight Night 50 results: Rafael Natal survives third to earn split over Chris Camozzi". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- C.J. Tuttle (2014-10-01). "UFC Cuts Middleweight Chris Camozzi After 4 Consecutive Losses". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- Matt Erickson (April 11, 2015). "Yoel Romero hurt, Chris Camozzi returns to rematch 'Jacare' Souza at UFC on Fox 15". MMAjunkie.com.
- Dave Doyle (April 18, 2015). "UFC on Fox 15 results: 'Jacare' Souza makes short work of Chris Camozzi". MMAfighting.com.
- Staff (2015-06-15). "Chris Camozzi vs. Tom Watson added to UFC Fight Night 73 in Nashville". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-08-08). "UFC Fight Night 73 results: Chris Camozzi takes unanimous decision over Tom Watson". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-08.
- Staff (2015-12-15). "Seven fights added to UFC Fight Night 82 in Pittsburgh". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-15.
- Brad Popkin (2016-02-21). "UFC Fight Night 83 results: Knees! Chris Camozzi finishes Joe Riggs with a flurry of clinch strikes at UFC Pittsburgh". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-02-21.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-02-22). "UFC Fight Night Pittsburgh Bonuses: Cerrone, Camozzi, Murphy, Faszholz earn $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-02-22.
- Mike Bohn and Matt Erickson (2016-03-19). "UFC Fight Night 88 gets 8 new fights". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-05-29). "UFC Fight Night 88 results: Chris Camozzi has little trouble with Vitor Miranda for shutout". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- Staff (2016-06-15). "UFC Fight Night 92 gets five new fights". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- Brnet Brookhouse (2016-08-07). "UFC Fight Night 92 results: Thales Leites dominates Chris Camozzi on ground en route to third-round submisison". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-09-21). "Chris Camozzi booked to face Daniel Kelly at UFC Fight Night in Melbourne". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-09-21.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-11-27). "UFC Fight Night 101 results: Bloodied Daniel Kelly grinds way to decision over Chris Camozzi". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-27.
- Staff (2017-02-28). "UFC Fight Night in Stockholm adds 3 other bouts". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- Staff (2017-03-27). "Chris Camozzi gets a little 'Hot Sauce' lined up for UFC Fight Night 109 in Stockholm". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-03-27.
- Ben Fowlkes (2017-05-28). "UFC Fight Night 109 results: Trevor Smith dominates Chris Camozzi for unanimous decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-05-28.
- Chris Camozzi (2017-06-02). "Chris Camozzi on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Thiago Silva vs. Chris Camozzi set for ACB 88 main event in Brisbane". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Fleming, Niall (14 June 2018). "Thiago Silva has been forced to withdraw from ACB Brisbane. Barnatt vs Celinski now the main event".
- "UFC Fight Night's Chris Camozzi: A Future In and Out of the Cage". Rob Tatum, CombatPress.com. 2014-09-04. Retrieved 2014-09-09.