Dornier Do 214
|Do 214 model at Dornier's museum in Friedrichshafen|
|Role||Flying boat, Long range transport|
Originally designed as the Do P.93 for passenger transatlantic service from Lisbon to New York, the Do 214 was redesigned as the P.192 for military service in early 1940. In 1941, a full-sized fuselage mockup was constructed in order to evaluate the interior layout. The fuselage was streamlined, having a round cross-section, with the interior consisting of two decks.
Its wings featured a small amount of sweep on the leading edge, with straight trailing edges, and were shoulder-mounted on the fuselage. Eight Daimler-Benz DB 613 24-cylinder "power-system" engines — themselves consisting of a pair of Daimler-Benz DB 603 inverted V12 engines, paired up to run a single propeller like the DB 605-based "DB 610" engines of the Heinkel He 177A, and themselves weighing over 1.5 tonnes apiece (the DB 613 "power systems" would have weighed more like 1.8 tonnes apiece) — provided the power, with four tractor engines and four pusher engines. All eight "power system" engines, using a total of 16 DB 603s to complete them, provided power to two quartets of four-blade VDM variable-pitch propellers; the front propellers had a 5.00 m (16 ft 5 in) diameter, the rear propellers had a 4.60 m (15 ft 1 in) diameter.
The mammoth eight-engine design was intended for use as a military transport, with a large bow door admitting vehicles and bulky freight to the upper deck. It was also designed for use as a long-range bomber, flying tanker, aerial minelayer and U-boat supply vessel. By 1943, it was realized that long-range flying boats were not needed due to the worsening war situation, and the Do 214 project was canceled.
Specifications (Do 214)
- Crew: 12-15
- Length: 51.60 m (169 ft 3½ in)
- Wingspan: 60.00 m (196 ft 10¼ in)
- Height: 14.30 m (46 ft 11 in)
- Wing area: 500.00 m² (5,381 ft²)
- Empty weight: 76,000 kg (167,551 lb)
- Loaded weight: 145,000 kg (319,670 lb)
- Powerplant: 8 × Daimler-Benz DB 613A 24-cylinder liquid-cooled inline engine, 2,833 kW (3,800 hp) each
- Maximum speed: 490 km/h (304 mph)
- Cruise speed: 425 km/h (264 mph)
- Range: 6,200 km (3,852 mi)
- Service ceiling: 7,000 m (22,965 ft)
- Related lists