This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Douglas William Walter, DMA is Professor of Percussion at the University of Colorado Boulder College of Music, and was the first marimba and vibraphone artist to win a First Prize in the Concert Artists Guild Competition in NYC.
He has performed over 350 solo recitals and concerts in forty states, Canada, Brazil and nine countries in Europe, in addition to international conventions of the Percussive Arts Society, International Association for Jazz Education and The National Association for Music Education.
Walter has performed with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra, Oregon Symphony Orchestra, Santa Fe Opera Orchestra, Colorado Ballet Orchestra, and Philadelphia Orchestra. He is Principal with the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra, and Sunriver Music Festival Orchestras. He has performed as a member of the percussion section of the Colorado Ballet Orchestra for 15 years. He played with the Colorado Music Festival for 16 years, 10 as Principal Percussionist. He has toured for 21 years with the Westminster Brass.
As a jazz musician he has recorded (on drum set and vibes) with Michael Pagàn, the University of North Texas College of Music One O'Clock Lab Band, the Modest Jazz Trio, the Lawless Percussion and Jazz Ensemble, The CU Jazz Asylum Faculty Quintet, the DAD Trio, Rim of the Well (with Steve Mullins), and the Doug Walter Vibraphone Trio.
Walter holds three undergraduate degrees: a Dual Bachelor of Music (BM) in Music Education and Music Theory from North Texas State University, summa cum laude and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in French from the University of Colorado, summa cum laude. He further holds two masters degrees, a Master of Music (MM) in Orchestral Conducting and a Master of Music in Percussion Performance, both from the University of Michigan. Walter also holds a doctoral level degree, a Doctor of Musical Arts (DMA) in Percussion Performance from Temple University (1984).
Compositions and endorsements
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2013-10-08.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Competition Winners Archive - Concert Artists Guild". Concert Artists Guild.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-03-19.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Mullins & Walter Duo (flamenco guitar and marimba) - Steve Mullins Music, Flamenco Guitar, Mandolin, Boulder Colorado". stevemullinsmusic.com.
- DMA Thesis: The Performance of Contrapuntal Music on the Marimba and Vibraphone, by Douglas William Walter, Temple University (1984)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-08-31. Retrieved 2013-10-08.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Encore DW13 Doug Walter Soft Rattan Vibraphone Mallets". Steve Weiss Music.
- "SABIAN Cymbals". SABIAN Cymbals.