Accessory pancreatic duct

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  (Redirected from Duct of Santorini)
Jump to: navigation, search
"Pancreatic duct of Santorini" redirects here. For the pancreatic duct of Wirsung, also known as the main pancreatic duct, see Pancreatic duct.
Accessory pancreatic duct
Gray1100.png
The pancreatic duct.
Details
Identifiers
Latin ductus pancreaticus accessorius
Dorlands
/Elsevier
d_29/12314985
TA A05.9.01.017
FMA 14534
Anatomical terminology
1. Bile ducts: 2. Intrahepatic bile ducts, 3. Left and right hepatic ducts, 4. Common hepatic duct, 5. Cystic duct, 6. Common bile duct, 7. Ampulla of Vater, 8. Major duodenal papilla
9. Gallbladder, 10–11. Right and left lobes of liver. 12. Spleen.
13. Esophagus. 14. Stomach. Small intestine: 15. Duodenum, 16. Jejunum
17. Pancreas: 18: Accessory pancreatic duct, 19: Pancreatic duct.
20–21: Right and left kidneys (silhouette).
The anterior border of the liver is lifted upwards (brown arrow). Gallbladder with Longitudinal section, pancreas and duodenum with frontal one. Intrahepatic ducts and stomach in transparency.

Most people have just one pancreatic duct. However, some have an additional accessory pancreatic duct also called the Duct of Santorini, which is dorsal and usually (in 70%) drains into to the duodenum via the minor duodenal papilla. In the other 30% it drains into the main pancreatic duct, which drains into the duodenum via the major duodenal papilla. The main pancreatic duct and the accessory duct both eventually - either directly or indirectly - connect to the second part ('D2', the vertical segment) of the duodenum.

The Duct of Santorini is commonly non-functional, whereas the Duct of Wirsung is always functional when present. The two may not be connected.

It is named for Giovanni Domenico Santorini.[1][2]

References[edit]

  1. ^ synd/3087 at Who Named It?
  2. ^ G. D. Santorini. Observationes anatomicae. Venetiis, apus J. B. Recurti, 1724

External links[edit]