East Side Story (Squeeze album)
|East Side Story|
|Studio album by Squeeze|
|Released||15 May 1981|
|Recorded||1980-1981 Eden Studios, Chiswick, London|
|Singles from East Side Story|
|Robert Christgau (link)||B+|
|Rolling Stone (link)|
East Side Story is the fourth studio album by new wave group Squeeze. The initial concept was for a double-LP with one side produced by Elvis Costello, another by Dave Edmunds, a third by Nick Lowe and the fourth possibly by Paul McCartney. Ultimately it was largely produced by Costello and Roger Bechirian, and released on one disc.
However, Edmunds did produce the album's opening track, and sessions with Lowe yielded "Looking For A Love". This latter track (and one other album outtake produced by Bechirian and Costello) was appended to a 1997 UK CD reissue of East Side Story, as part of the band's Six of One... box set. The set included the band's first six studio albums, all digitally remastered. A year later, each separate CD (including the expanded East Side Story) was made available for individual purchase.
The album was a definite break with Squeeze's "New Wave" sound, as it contained songs influenced by rockabilly, R&B, blue-eyed soul, Merseybeat, and psychedelia among other genres. It also contained Squeeze's last top 10 UK single, "Labelled With Love". This was a track that Costello allegedly had to fight to have recorded, as Tilbrook in particular initially felt that the song was too country-and-western sounding for Squeeze's image.
East Side Story was the first album for new keyboardist Paul Carrack. He sang lead on the track "Tempted", which became one of Squeeze's best-known songs, and Squeeze's first U.S. chart hit. Shortly after the release of this album, Carrack would leave the band for a solo career, but he returned to Squeeze for a time in the early 1990s, playing and singing on the Some Fantastic Place album.
LP side A:
- "In Quintessence" – 2:55 Produced by Dave Edmunds, assisted by Neil King
- "Someone Else's Heart" – 3:00
- "Tempted" – 4:02
- "Piccadilly" – 3:26
- "There's No Tomorrow" – 3:27
- "Heaven" – 3:49
- "Woman's World" – 3:42
LP side B:
- "Is That Love" – 2:31
- "F-Hole" – 4:41
- "Labelled With Love" – 4:44
- "Someone Else's Bell" – 3:08
- "Mumbo Jumbo" – 3:13
- "Vanity Fair" – 3:09
- "Messed Around" – 2:42
Bonus Tracks (1997 reissue)
- "The Axe Has Now Fallen" – 3:51
- "Lookin' for a Love" (James Alexander, Zelda Samuels) – 3:00 Produced by Nick Lowe
- Chris Difford – rhythm guitar, backing vocals, lead vocal on "Someone Else's Heart" and "Heaven"
- Glenn Tilbrook – lead vocals, lead guitar, keyboards
- Paul Carrack – keyboards, backing vocals, lead vocal on "Tempted"
- John Bentley – bass, backing vocals
- Gilson Lavis – Drums
- Elvis Costello - additional vocal on "Tempted"; backing vocal on "There's No Tomorrow"
- Del Newman - string arrangements
|1981||Billboard Pop Albums||44|
|1981||"In Quintessence"||Billboard Mainstream Rock||39|
|1981||"Tempted"||Billboard Mainstream Rock||8|
- A&M Records AMLH64854 (UK)
- A&M Records SP 4854 (US)
- A&M Records CD 3253 (US)
- East Side Story at discogs.com
- East Side Story at allmusic.com