Waterloo Dock (Liverpool)
West Waterloo dock and warehouse
|Location||Vauxhall, Liverpool, Merseyside, United Kingdom|
|Owner||The Peel Group|
|Operator||Mersey Docks and Harbour Company|
|Area||5 acres (2.0 ha), 3,056 sq yd (2,555 m2)|
|Width at entrance||45 ft (14 m)|
|Quay length||737 yd (674 m)|
Waterloo Dock is a dock on the River Mersey, England, and part of the Port of Liverpool. It is situated in the northern dock system in Vauxhall and connected to Princes Half Tide Dock to the south. The site of Victoria Dock is located to the north.
In 1843 an observatory was built here for astronomical and meteorological observations and to provide accurate time for ships' chronometers. In 1866, when the dock was redeveloped, the observatory was relocated to Bidston Hill on the Wirral Peninsula.
In 1868, Waterloo Dock was split in two separate basins; East Waterloo Dock and West Waterloo Dock.
The dock closed to shipping in 1988. The entrance channel from the river and part of the dock has since been filled.
In 2007, work began on a £20 million extension of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, providing a further 1.4 mi (2.3 km) of navigable waterway and encompassing Princes Half Tide Dock. A new 6.5 m (21 ft)-wide channel from Trafalgar Dock to the northern end of West Waterloo Dock will be excavated as part of the canal route.
The extensive Waterloo Warehouse has since been converted into residential apartments.
- Baines 1859, Part II, p. 116
- "John Hartnup". Proudman Oceanographic Laboratory. Archived from the original on 21 June 2008. Retrieved 6 April 2008.
- "Trading Places: Waterloo Dock History". Liverpool Museums. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved 6 April 2008.
- "Liverpool Canal Link: The Scheme". British Waterways. Archived from the original on 25 July 2008. Retrieved 6 April 2008.
- "Liverpool Canal Link: (Section 2) Central Docks Channel". British Waterways. Archived from the original on 14 September 2007. Retrieved 6 April 2008.
- McCarron, Ken; Jarvis, Adrian (1992). Give a Dock a Good Name?. Birkenhead: Merseyside Port Folios. pp. 103–105. ISBN 9780951612941. OCLC 27770301.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Waterloo Dock.|