Edelweiss (Aosta Valley)
|Founded||25 November 2001|
|Headquarters||Via Monte Pasubio, 40
|European Parliament group||no MEPs|
|Regional Coalition||Vallée d'Aoste
and Lega Nord
|Chamber of Deputies||
1 / 630
0 / 315
0 / 73
|Council of the Valley||
5 / 35
|Politics of Aosta Valley
Edelweiss (Italian: Stella Alpina, SA) is a regionalist, Christian-democratic and federalist Italian political party active in Aosta Valley, Italy. Its long-time leaders are Rudi Marguerettaz and Maurizio Martin.
SA was founded in 2001 by the merger of the Autonomists and the Autonomist Federation. The Autonomists were basically the Valdostan section of the Italian People's Party, one of the successors of Christian Democracy, while the Autonomist Federation was formed by former Autonomists Democrats Progressives, along with former Socialists and Republicans.
In the 2003 regional election, SA scored 19.8% and got elected seven regional councillors. In the 2003–2008 term, the party controlled five seats in the Regional Council. Of the five regional councillors, four are former members of Christian Democracy and one is a former Republican. In 2004 the Autonomist Federation re-gained its independence from SA.
From 2001 to 2006, SA was represented in the Italian Chamber of Deputies by Ivo Collé, who was elected with the support of the Aosta Valley coalition (VdA), formed also by the Valdostan Union (UV) and the Autonomist Federation (FA).
In the 2008 regional election SA, which included four candidates of the Union of Christian and Centre Democrats (UDC) in its list, won 11.4% of the vote and four regional councillors (out of 35), while the three-party regionalist coalition won 62.0% and a large majority, composed of 22 regional councillors. No candidate of UDC was elected.
In the 2013 general election Rudi Marguerettaz, secretary of SA since 2001, was elected to the Chamber of Deputies. Soon after the election, Marguerettaz chose to team up with Lega Nord and became vice president of the "Lega Nord and Autonomies" parliamentary group. Marguerettaz stepped down from party secretary in order to perform at his best his new office in Rome and the party was led by a provisional executive.
For the 2013 regional election the party confirmed its alliance with UV and SA, and formed a joint list with Lega Nord Valle d'Aosta. In an election in which UV lost a quarter of its votes and FA its entire representation in the Regional Council, SA increased its share of vote to 12.2% and its number of regional councillors to five. Thanks to SA's result, the regionalist coalition retained its absolute majority in the Council.
- Parties and Elections in Europe: The database about parliamentary elections and political parties in Europe, by Wolfram Nordsieck
- Parties and Elections in Europe
- Consiglio Regionale della Valle d'Aosta - Gruppi consiliari
- Regione Valle d'Aosta
- Rudi Marguerettaz: "Con la Lega per essere più efficaci" - AostaSera.it
- Bersani: al Colle con proposta Pd Capigruppo, tocca a Zanda e Speranza - Repubblica.it
- Rudi Marguerettaz decade da segretario della Stella Alpina. Il movimento gestito da Maurizio Martin, Carlo Marzi e Flavio Serra | 12vda
- Accordo Lega Nord - Stella Alpina per le elezioni regionali
- Elezioni regionali, la Lega Nord va con la Stella Alpina - AostaSera.it
- Regionali, tre candidate donne per la Lega Nord, notizie Valle d'Aosta cronaca, sport Aosta, politica e elezioni Aosta