Edward Stephenson (musician)
Edward "Ed" Stephenson
|Born||August 12, 1976|
|Occupation||classical flamenco guitarist|
Edward "Ed" Stephenson (Edvard Stefanyshyn) (born 12 August 1976 in Toronto, Canada) is a classical/nuevo flamenco guitarist who has toured throughout North America since he was sixteen. He is also the founder of the Paco Band and the North Carolina Guitar Quartet.
Life and career
Ed was the son of Edward Peter Stephenson, who passed when he was nine years of age. His mother, Rosemarie raised him and his sister Darlene until she remarried to Robert Grinton when Ed was thirteen. In his early teens, Ed won the Canadian Music Competition and the Kiwanis Music Competition. His early studies were with Ivan Maracle in Toronto, Canada who prepared Ed for his audition for Aaron Shearer at the Peabody Conservatory. Ed started his collegiate studies at the Peabody Conservatory, in Baltimore, Maryland, as an undergraduate student. Later, he relocated to North Carolina to complete his degree at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts under the direction of Aaron Shearer.
Currently Ed is the head of the guitar department of Meredith College in Raleigh, North Carolina. He has also held faculty positions at Methodist University in Fayetteville, North Carolina and Mt. Olive College in Mount Olive, North Carolina.
Ed Stephenson's most recent recording, Esencia, is craftily blended to deliver a new dimension of Nuevo flamenco music. It includes six ensemble tracks with Inos Flamenca and four solo tracks. Roger Cope of The Classical Voice of North Carolina praised the album saying, "The ensemble is tight with rhythmically biting and often infectious enthusiasm...The solos are duende-imbued renditions of standard classical guitar repertoire that are surprisingly effective and that refresh their signature elements."
- KYPOYKA - Ukrainian Children's Songs and Stories
- Winter Branches - North Carolina Guitar quartet(Liscio Recordings) (1997)
- "INO" Live - Ed Stephenson and the Paco band (2008)
- Vivaldi Concerto in D major - Ed Stephenson (2009)
- Esencia - Ed Stephenson and the Paco band (Liscio Recordings) (2011)
- Stephenson, Edward. "Ed Stephenson". Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Peaboy Conservatory". Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "The North Carolina School of the Arts". Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Meredith College Faculty". Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Store". Archived from the original on 31 July 2012. Retrieved 6 March 2012.
- "Store". Archived from the original on 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2012-03-06.