|Born||March 12, 1951|
|Alma mater||University of Texas at Austin|
|Notable works||The Plutonium Files|
|Notable awards||Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting (1994), Martha Albrand Award for First Nonfiction (2000)|
Eileen Welsome (born March 12, 1951) is an American journalist and author. She received a Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting in 1994 while a reporter for The Albuquerque Tribune for a 3-part story titled "The Plutonium Experiment" published beginning on November 15, 1993. She was awarded the prize for her articles about the government's human radiation experiments conducted on unwilling and unknowing Americans during the Cold War. Welsome also has received a George Polk Award, the Selden Ring Award for Investigative Reporting, an Investigative Reporters and Editors Gold Medal, the Heywood Broun Award, as well as awards from the National Headliners Association and the Associated Press. In 1999, Welsome wrote the book The Plutonium Files: America's Secret Medical Experiments in the Cold War. In 2000, Welsome received the PEN/Martha Albrand Award for First Nonfiction and the PEN Center USA West Award in Research Nonfiction for The Plutonium Files.
Welsome began her career in journalism as a reporter for the Beaumont Enterprise. She also worked for the San Antonio Light and the San Antonio Express-News before joining The Albuquerque Tribune staff in 1987. Welsome graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in 1980 with a Bachelor of Journalism degree.
- Welsome, Eileen. The Plutonium Files: America's Secret Medical Experiments in the Cold War. New York, N.Y.: Dial Press, 1999. ISBN 0385314027 OCLC 40805423
- Welsome, Eileen. The General and the Jaguar: Pershing's Hunt for Pancho Villa: a True Story of Revolution and Revenge. New York: Little, Brown and Co, 2006. ISBN 0316715999 OCLC 62172693
- Welsome, Eileen. Healers and Hellraisers: Denver Health's First 150 Years. Denver, CO: Denver Health Foundation, 2011. ISBN 9780615423906
- Welsome, Eileen. Deep Roots: AspenPointe and Colorado Springs, Together Since 1875. 2013. ISBN 9780989618502 OCLC 875892653
- Welsome, Eileen "Dream Delivered: The Community Health Center Movement in Denver". 2016. Template:ISBN/978069264944
- Brennan, E. A.; Clarage, E. C. (1999). Who's who of Pulitzer Prize winners. ISBN 1-57356-111-8.
- Eileen Welsome, Albuquerque Tribune made history with 'The Plutonium Experiment', Albuquerque Tribune, Joline Gutierrez Krueger, February 22, 2008.
- The University of Texas at Austin. Eileen Welsome: 1994 Pulitzer Prize in National Reporting
- Robert Martensen. Final Report of the Advisory Committee on Human Radiation Experiments (review) Bulletin of the History of Medicine Volume 72, Number 1, Spring 1998, p. 166.
- The Plutonium Files: America's secret medical experiments in the Cold War (Book Review) The New England Journal of Medicine, Volume 341:1941-1942, Harriet A. Washington, December 16, 1999, DOI:10.1056 NEJM199912163412519.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-10-19. Retrieved 2012-06-18.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)