Weiner in 2012
|Born||June 20, 1956|
|Genre||history, biography, non-fiction|
|Subject||soldiers, spies, terrorists, presidents|
|Notable works||Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA|
|Notable awards||National Book Award in Nonfiction
Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting
Tim Weiner (born June 20, 1956) is a former New York Times reporter, author of four books and co-author of a fifth, and winner of the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award. His newest book is "One Man Against The World: The Tragedy of Richard Nixon."
He is a graduate of Columbia College of Columbia University and the Graduate School of Journalism at Columbia University. Weiner worked for the Times from 1993 to 2009 as a foreign correspondent in Mexico, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Sudan and as a national security correspondent in Washington, DC.
Weiner won the 1988 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting as an investigative reporter at The Philadelphia Inquirer, for his articles on the black budget spending at the Pentagon and the CIA. His book Blank Check: The Pentagon's Black Budget is based on that newspaper series.
His Enemies: A History of the FBI traces the history of the FBI's secret intelligence operations—from the bureau's creation in the early 20th century through its ongoing role in the war on terrorism.
He is the director of the nonfiction residency program for reporters, writers, and documentary makers at the Carey Institute in Rensselaerville, New York.
- Blank Check: The Pentagon's Black Budget by Tim Weiner. Aspect. September 1990. ISBN 978-0446514521 (Based on a series of Pulitzer Prize-winning articles, Blank Check unveils the U.S. President's secret treasury; provides a look at how the Pentagon spends the public's money without public consent or knowledge.)
- Betrayal: The Story of Aldrich Ames, an American Spy by Neil A. Lewis, Tim Weiner, and David Johnston Random House, May 1, 1995. 308 pages. ISBN 978-0-679-44050-5
- Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA by Tim Weiner. Anchor Books. 2008. ISBN 978-0-307-38900-8
- Enemies: A History of the FBI by Tim Weiner. February 2012. ISBN 978-1-4000-6748-0
- One Man Against The World: The Tragedy of Richard Nixon by Tim Weiner. June 2015. ISBN 978-1-6277-9083-3
- "National Reporting". Past winners & finalists by category. The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
- "National Book Awards – 2007". National Book Foundation. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
(With acceptance speech by Weiner and interview.)
- Doyle, Jessica B. "About Tim Weiner". Tim Weiner. Random House Speakers Bureau. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- Carey Institute for Global Good. "Nonfiction Residency - Carey Institute for Global Good".
- http://www.booknotes.org/Watch/14257-1/Tim+Weiner.aspx Booknotes interview with Weiner on Blank Check: The Pentagon's Black Budget, October 21, 1990
- Website for Carey Institute nonfiction residency program
- Website for Tim Weiner's book One Man Against The World
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Interview at the Pritzker Military Museum & Library on September 20, 2007
- Tim Weiner at Library of Congress Authorities — with catalog records