Weiner in 2012
|Born||June 20, 1956|
White Plains, New York, U.S.
|Genre||history, biography, non-fiction|
|Subject||soldiers, spies, terrorists, presidents|
|Notable works||Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA|
|Notable awards||National Book Award in Nonfiction|
Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting
Tim Weiner (born June 20, 1956) is an American reporter and author. He is the author of four books and co-author of a fifth, and winner of the Pulitzer Prize and National Book Award. His newest book is The Folly and the Glory: America, Russia, and Political Warfare, 1945–2020
He is a graduate of Columbia College of Columbia University and the Graduate School of Journalism at Columbia University. Weiner worked for the Times from 1993 to 2009 as a foreign correspondent in Mexico, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Sudan and as a national security correspondent in Washington, DC.
Weiner won the 1988 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting as an investigative reporter at The Philadelphia Inquirer, for his articles on the black budget spending at the Pentagon and the CIA. His book Blank Check: The Pentagon's Black Budget is based on that newspaper series.
His Enemies: A History of the FBI traces the history of the FBI's secret intelligence operations—from the bureau's creation in the early 20th century through its ongoing role in the war on terrorism.
"[Y]ou should never chalk up to conspiracy what you can reliably attribute to stupidity. Because stupidity is a much more powerful force in the course of human events." 
- Blank Check: The Pentagon's Black Budget. Warner Books, 1990. ISBN 978-0446514521. Based on a series of Pulitzer Prize-winning articles.
- Betrayal: The Story of Aldrich Ames, an American Spy, with Neil A. Lewis & David Johnston. Random House, 1995. ISBN 978-0679440505.
- Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA. Anchor Books, 2008. ISBN 978-0307389008.
- Enemies: A History of the FBI. Random House, 2012. ISBN 978-1400067480.
- One Man Against The World: The Tragedy of Richard Nixon. Macmillan, 2015. ISBN 978-1627790833.
- The Folly and the Glory: America, Russia, and Political Warfare, 1945–2020. Henry Holt and Company, 2020. ISBN 978-1627790864.
- "Tim Weiner of The Philadelphia Inquirer." The 1988 Pulitzer Prize Winner in National Reporting. The Pulitzer Prizes. Archived from the original.
- "For his series of reports on a secret Pentagon budget used by the government to sponsor defense research and an arms buildup."
"National Book Awards – 2007". National Book Foundation. Retrieved 2012-03-24.
(With acceptance speech by Weiner and interview.)
- Doyle, Jessica B. "About Tim Weiner". Tim Weiner. Random House Speakers Bureau. Archived from the original on October 22, 2013. Retrieved August 15, 2012.
- Shreckinger, Ben. "Journalist Russ Baker: 'Boston Isn't Strong. Boston Is Scared Sh*tless.'" Boston Magazine January 5, 2015. Archived from the original.
- Booknotes interview with Tim Weiner on Blank Check: The Pentagon's Black Budget. C-SPAN, October 1, 1990. Archived from the original