Type of site
|Online education, e-learning|
|Slogan(s)||Democratizing education with technology|
|Users||50000+ (April 2014)|
|Launched||February 11, 2013|
Eliademy [əlɪaˈdəmi] is a free online classroom that allows educators and students to create, share and manage online courses with real-time discussions and task management. Eliademy is based on Moodle (support import of course in Moodle format), Twitter Bootstrap and other open source technologies. Eliademy was unveiled to public in February 2013 by CBTec. Eliademy is available in 32 languages.
CBTec was founded in Helsinki, Finland in 2012 by Sotiris Makrygiannis and Sergey Gerasimenko. Following Nokia announcement on choosing Windows Phone as primary OS for its phones, Sotiris Makrygiannis, at the time Director of Open Source Operations, left together with 16 MeeGo colleagues. Their last project in Nokia was award winning Nokia N9.
Eliademy Android client (also compatible with Moodle LMS) is an open source project available at GitHub. It was launched with support from Tekes – the Finnish Funding Agency for Technology and Innovation. Eliademy is a part of Digile, Finland's initiative launched in order to create new disruptive digital service in the area of education.
Eliademy has been featured on TechCrunch. and in other sources. In June 2014, it was named by EdTech Europe as one of Europe's 20 fastest growing and most Innovative e-Learning companies. In February 2015 it was selected as Finalist for the 2015 Edison Awards in category "Living, Working and Learning" and received Gold Award during award ceremony in New York in April 2015.
- Inventure invests in online education platform Eliademy. "Inventure" April 25, 2014.
- O'Hear, Steve. Eliademy, a free online classroom from Finland democratizes education with technology. "TechCrunch" March 12, 2013.
- Heather, Brian. Nokia's Stephen Elop is still over MeeGo, even if the N9 is a hit. "Engadget" June 25, 2011.
- eliademy-android project at GitHub
- Li, Shuhang 芬兰开放课程平台 Eliademy 推出中文版 4月获种子轮融资. "TechCrunch China" June 12, 2014.
- Lee, Emma Finnish MOOC Platform Eliademy Launches Chinese Version. "TechNode" June 13, 2014.
- O'Hear, Steve. Eliademy, The MOOC Founded By Ex-Nokians, Gets Android App To Benefit The Wider Moodle Community. "TechCrunch" June 3, 2013.
- Lomas, Natasha. Finnish Startup Gets Seed Backing For Its Online Education Platform Play, Eliademy. "TechCrunch" April 24, 2014.
- Scott, Laura Europe's 20 Fastest Growing and Most Innovative e-Learning Companies Named. "RealWire" June 6, 2014.
- 2015 Edison Awards Finalists. 2015 Edison Award Finalists. February 25, 2015.
- 2015 Edison Award Winners. 2015 Edison Award Winners. April 24, 2015.