Elk Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania
|Elk Township, |
Tioga County, Pennsylvania
Houses at Leetonia
Map of Tioga County Highlighting Elk Township
Map of Pennsylvania highlighting Tioga County
|• Total||73.93 sq mi (191.48 km2)|
|• Land||73.82 sq mi (191.20 km2)|
|• Water||0.11 sq mi (0.28 km2)|
|• Estimate (2016)||49|
|• Density||0.66/sq mi (0.26/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern Time Zone (North America)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 74.0 square miles (192 km2), of which, 73.9 square miles (191 km2) of it is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) of it (0.15%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 51 people, 24 households, and 18 families residing in the township. The population density was 0.7 people per square mile (0.3/km²). There were 185 housing units at an average density of 2.5/sq mi (1.0/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 100.00% White.
There were 24 households out of which 12.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.7% were married couples living together, and 25.0% were non-families. 25.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.13 and the average family size was 2.44.
In the township the population was spread out with 7.8% under the age of 18, 3.9% from 18 to 24, 19.6% from 25 to 44, 41.2% from 45 to 64, and 27.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 58 years. For every 100 females there were 112.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.3 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $29,583, and the median income for a family was $22,188. Males had a median income of $52,500 versus $0 for females. The per capita income for the township was $18,576. There were 17.6% of families and 11.8% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and none of those over 64.
Communities and locations
- Leetonia – A village within the Tioga State Forest in the east-central part of the township.
- Tioga State Forest – The majority of Elk Township is covered by the Tioga State Forest.
Politics and government
The Township is governed by three locally elected Township Supervisors.
- County level
Three, elected at large, County Commissioners. In 2013 - Erick J. Coolidge, Mark L. Hamilton, Roger C. Bunn
- State level
- Matt E. Baker - State Representative, Pennsylvania House of Representatives, District 68
- Joseph B. Scarnati - State Senator, Pennsylvania Senate, District 25
- Federal level
- Glenn Thompson, Republican, Pennsylvania's 5th congressional district
- Pat Toomey, US Senator
- Bob Casey, Jr., US Senator (senior)
Residents of the Elk Township may attend the local, public schools operated by Galeton Area School District which provides taxpayer funded preschool, full day kindergarten through 12th grade. The District's enrollment declined to 362 students preschool through 12th grade. in 2013. Galeton Area School District ranked 409th out of 500 public schools for the academic achievement of its pupils in 2013.
Elk Township residents may also apply to attend any of the Commonwealth's 13 public cyber charter schools at no additional cost to the parents. The resident’s public school district is required to pay the charter school and cyber charter school tuition for residents who attend these public schools. By Commonwealth law, if the District provides transportation for its own students, then the District must provide transportation to any school that lies within 10 miles of its borders. Residents may also seek admission for their school aged child to any other public school district. When accepted for admission, the student's parents are responsible for paying an annual tuition fee set by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. In 2012, the tuition fees for Galeton Area School District were: Elementary School - $9,828.42, High School - $12,543.99.
BLAST Intermediate Unit #17 provides a wide variety of services to children living in its region which includes Elk Township. Early screening, special educations services, speech and hearing therapy and many other services like driver education are available. Services for children during the preschool years are provided without cost to their families when the child is determined to meet eligibility requirements.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 14, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- US Census Bureau (2013). "Table DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010" (PDF).
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "Charter Schools".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (2013). "What is a Charter School?".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (May 2012). "Pennsylvania Public School District Tuition Rates".