|Single by Tiwa Savage featuring Don Jazzy|
|from the album Once Upon a Time|
|Released||October 8, 2013|
|Songwriter(s)||Tiwatope Savage, Michael Collins Ajereh|
|Tiwa Savage singles chronology|
"Eminado" (meaning Good Luck Charm) is a song by Nigerian singer Tiwa Savage. It features vocals from Don Jazzy and was released as the seventh single from her debut studio album, Once Upon a Time (2013). It peaked at number 2 on MTV Base's Official Naija Top 10 chart from March 7 through March 13, 2014. Vanguard newspaper ranked it 10th on their list of the top ten hit songs that made 2013. "Eminando" was met with generally positive reviews from music critics and consumers. On the contrary, the music video was criticized for bearing close resemblance to Tumi and the Volume's "Asinamali" video.
Background and controversy
"Eminado" was recorded in 2013. The song literally translates to Good Luck Charm. In an interview with Vanguard newspaper, Savage said Don Jazzy created the sound and name of the song. She also said rehearsing in the studio resulted in the formulation of the song's concept. The accompanying music video for "Eminado" was shot and directed by Clarence Peters. It was uploaded onto YouTube on November 4, 2013. After the song was serviced to radio stations across Nigeria, Savage kept her fans, who had to wait nearly two months for the video, in suspense. Jim Donnett complimented the video's fashion styling, coordination and color theme.
In January 2014, a copyright infringement was levelled against Clarence Peters following the video's release. He allegedly stole the vintage nature of the "Asinamali" video, which was released by Tumi and the Volume to honour the artistic works of Seydou Keïta. Tumi slandered Peters on Twitter, urging his fans to shine a light on the issue. Savage's then-manager and husband Tunji "Tee Billz" Balogun said he and his wife never knew the video's concept was adopted from another video and were surprised as everyone else.
Savage performed "Eminado" at a farewell concert for Nelson Mandela in January 2014. She also performed "Eminado" during the 2014 Star Music Trek tour, which commenced on March 29 and ended on May 31, 2014. On March 7, 2014, Savage graced the Golden Tullip, FESTAC music festival stage. On June 28, 2014, she performed "Eminado" alongside Sarkodie and Mafikizolo at BET's "Music Around the Globe" presentation. Savage performed the song at the 2014 edition of Africa Unplugged, alongside Davido and Diamond Platnumz. Moreover, she performed "Eminado" at Nigeria's Independent Day show in Warri, alongside Ja Rule, Ashanti, Davido, Flavour N'abania, Oritsefemi, Yemi Alade, Patoranking, Olamide, Wizkid, Iyanya, Dr SID, Harrysong, Ice Prince, Daddy Showkey and Seyi Shay.
"Eminado" was nominated in the World's Best Song and World's Best Video categories at the 2014 World Music Awards. At the 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards, the song was nominated for Hottest Single of the Year. The music video for "Eminado" won Most Gifted Female Video and was nominated for Most Gifted Video of the Year at the 2014 Channel O Music Video Awards.
|Year||Awards ceremony||Award description(s)||Results|
|2014||Channel O Music Video Awards||Most Gifted Female Video||Won|
|Most Gifted Video of the Year||Nominated|
|Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Hottest Single of the Year||Nominated|
|Best Music Video of the Year (Artist & Director)||Nominated|
|World Music Awards||World's Best Song||Nominated|
|World's Best Video||Nominated|
Covers and remixes
- "Eminado" (Mystro cover) - 3:42
- "Eminado" (Champeta Remix by DJ Yoko) -3:56
- S, Deji (10 March 2014). "Tiwa Savage co-hosts as Burna Boy's "Yawa Dey" is No. 1 on the MTV Base Official Naija Top 10 Chart". Bellanaija. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Mgbolu, Charles (27 December 2013). "Top ten hit songs that made 2013". Vanguard. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Ogunjimi, Opeoluwani (8 June 2013). "My fiance wiped away my shame – Tiwa Savage". Vanguard. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Tiwa Savage's Eminado Video Drops". Channels TV. 5 November 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Tiwa Savage keeps fans waiting over Eminado". National Mirror. 19 October 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Donnett, Jim (7 November 2013). "Review: Tiwa Savage's Eminado video is indeed a goodluck charm". YNaija. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Clarence Peters steals Tumi and The Volume video". Live Mag. Archived from the original on 7 April 2014. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "We are surprised Clarence Peters jacked the concept for 'Eminado' video – Tiwa Savage's Husband". Thenet.ng. Archived from the original on 5 April 2014. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- "Tuface, Waje, Others Stir Mandela's Concert". Osun Defender. Vanguard. 3 January 2014. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Nda-Isaiah, Solomon (28 March 2014). "Star Music Trek Unveils 17 Artistes For 2014 Tour". Leadership. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "Sunny Ade, D'Banj Tiwa Savage For Lagos Concert". P.M News. 4 March 2014. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Owoseje, Toyin (20 June 2014). "2014 BET Awards Africa Meets America : Nigeria's Ice Prince and Tiwa Savage to Perform". International Business Times. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Onibada, Ade (16 September 2014). "Review: Africa Unplugged". Young Voices. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- Egole, Anozie (6 September 2014). "Flavour, Tiwa Savage, Wizkid, others for Independence Day show in Warri". Vanguard. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- "D'banj, Tuface, Jay-Z, Kanye West, Davido, Kcee Nominated at World Music Awards". Channels Tv. 20 February 2014. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "Genevieve Nnaji, Don Jazzy, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tiwa Savage, Bovi, Davido – Nigeria Entertainment Awards Nominees List". Bellanaija. 29 May 2014. Retrieved 30 May 2014.
- Abimboye, Micheal (30 November 2014). "Tanzanian, South African floor Nigeria's Davido at Channel O Music Awards". Premium Times. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- Marshall, Rhodé (5 September 2014). "Channel O Africa announces Music Video Awards nominees". Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Mystro – Eminado (Cover)". NotjustOk. 5 November 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2015.
- on YouTube