|Common woolly sunflower|
|Dark Divide in Washington|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eriophyllum lanatum.|
Range and habitat
Eriophyllum lanatum is native to western North America, commonly growing in many dry, open places below 10,000 ft, but it also grows on rocky slopes and bluffs. It is most common in California, but grows as far north as Vancouver, Canada and east as far as Wyoming. There are historical reports of the species growing in Mexico, but those populations are now likely extirpated.
Growth pattern and form
Eriophyllum lanatum is a perennial herb growing from 1 to 2 feet (30 to 60 centimeters) in height. The woolly sunflower grows in well-branched clumps. Both stems and leaves may be covered with a woolly gray hair, but some plants lack this hair. The hairs conserve water by reflecting heat and reducing air movement across the leaf's surface. The hairs impart a dusty gray color to the plant.
Leaves and stems
Flowers are yellow and composite, looking much like true sunflowers, and sometimes grow to 2 inches (5 cm) wide. Both the ray and disk flowers are yellow, with one flower head on each flowering stalk.
The name "woolly sunflower" is often used to describe any member of the genus Eriophyllum.
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. achillioides (DC.) Jeps. - California, Nevada, Oregon
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. arachnoideum (Fisch. & Avé-Lall.) Jeps. - California Coast Ranges from Del Norte County to Monterey County
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. croceum (Greene) Jeps. - Sierra Nevada in California
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. grandiflorum (A.Gray) Jeps. - Oregon, California, †Baja California
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. hallii Constance - Kern County + Santa Barbara County in California
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. integrifolium (Hook.) Smiley - California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. lanatum - Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. lanceolatum (Howell) Jeps. - California, Oregon
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. leucophyllum (DC.) W.R.Carter - British Columbia; Oregon, Washington
- Eriophyllum lanatum var. obovatum (Greene) H.M.Hall - California
- The Plant List, Eriophyllum lanatum (Pursh) J.Forbes
- Tropicos, Eriophyllum lanatum (Pursh) J. Forbes
- Flora of North America, Eriophyllum lanatum (Pursh) J. Forbes, 1833. Common woolly sunflower
- Sierra Nevada Wildflowers, Karen Wiese, 2nd Ed. 2013, p. 116
- Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution map
- Calflora taxon report, University of California, Eriophyllum lanatum (Pursh) James Forbes, Common woollysunflower, Wooly Sunflower, common woolly sunflower, woolly sunflower
- Jepson manual Treatment
- United States Department of Agriculture Plants Profile
- Calphotos Photo gallery, University of California
- Turner Photographics, Eriophyllum lanatum - Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest includes photos, description, partial distribution map
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, University of Texas