Location of Ermenek within Turkey.
|• Mayor||Necati Akpınar (AKP)|
|• District||1,498.68 km2 (578.64 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,196 m (3,924 ft)|
|• District density||20/km2 (52/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
Ermenek is a town and district of Karaman Province in the Mediterranean region of Turkey. The district forms the core of the plateau region Taşeli. According to 2014 census, population of the district is 29,957 of which 11,332 live in the town of Ermenek.
Four of its bishops are known during the Byzantine government: Tyrannus, 451; Eustathius, 797; Basil, 878 (Le Quien, Or. christ., II, 1027); and Bisulas in the sixth century (Brooks, Sixth Book of the Letters of Severus, 13, 26, 80). The crusaders sustained a great defeat near the city in 1098. It passed to the Turkic dynasty of the Karamanids and became a centre of the Avşar Turks in 1228. During the Karamanid period, many of Ermenek's historical Mosques were constructed - Akca Mosque (1300), the Ulu Cami (1302), the Sipas Mosque (1306) and the Meydan mosque (1436). It was later incorporated into the Ottoman Empire who made it part of the Karaman Province where it was the second most important town after Karaman itself.
Settlements in the Ermenek district include:
- Lütfi Elvan (born 1962), mining engineer, politician and government minister
- "Area of regions (including lakes), km²". Regional Statistics Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. 2002. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Population of province/district centers and towns/villages by districts - 2012". Address Based Population Registration System (ABPRS) Database. Turkish Statistical Institute. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Turkish Statistical Institute. (XLS) (in Turkish) Key statistics for urban areas of Turkey http://rapory.tuik.gov.tr/22-06-2015-22:09:20-12700617649460550142789483.html Key statistics for urban areas of Turkey Check
|url=scheme (help). Retrieved 2014. Missing or empty
- GeoHive. "Statistical information on Turkey's administrative units". Retrieved 2008-03-20.
- Richard Talbert, Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World, (ISBN 0-691-03169-X), Map 66 & text.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Smith, William, ed. (1854–1857). "article name needed". Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography. London: John Murray.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc. "Geographical information on Ermenek, Turkey". Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- Ermenek at GEOnet Names Server
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ermenek.|
- District governor's official website (Turkish)
- District municipality's official website (Turkish)
- A web portal about Ermenek
- Ermenek in 120 pictures