Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee
|This article is outdated. (January 2011)|
|Archdiocese of Milwaukee
|Territory||The City of Milwaukee and the counties of Dodge, Fond du Lac, Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Walworth, Washington and Waukesha in the state of Wisconsin|
|Area||4,758 sq mi (12,320 km2)|
|(as of 2004)
674,736 (registered) (32.3%)
|Established||November 28, 1843 (170 years ago)
Elevated to Archdiocese on February 12, 1875
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist|
|Patron saint||St. John the Evangelist|
|Archbishop||Jerome Edward Listecki|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Donald J. Hying|
|Emeritus Bishops||Rembert George Weakland, O.S.B.
Archbishop Emeritus of Milwaukee
Richard J. Sklba
Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus of Milwaukee
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee (Latin: Archidioecesis Milvauchiensis) is a Roman Catholic archdiocese headquartered in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the United States. It encompasses the City of Milwaukee, as well as the counties of Dodge, Fond du Lac, Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Walworth, Washington and Waukesha, all located in Wisconsin. The Archdiocese of Milwaukee is the metropolitan see of the ecclesiastical province of Milwaukee, which includes the suffragan dioceses of Green Bay, La Crosse, Madison, and Superior. As of 2013[update] Jerome Edward Listecki was the Archbishop of Milwaukee.
The Diocese of Milwaukee was constituted November 28, 1843 by Pope Gregory XVI. It was elevated to Archdiocese on February 12, 1875 by Pope Pius IX. The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist is the episcopal see of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.
17 July 2011: "The Archdiocese of Milwaukee is launching a national advertising campaign to notify sex abuse victims of their deadline to file claims. The archdiocese filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January after it failed to reach a settlement with two dozen victims of sexual abuse by Catholic clergy." About 550 people are asking for restitution for alleged sexual abuse by clergy in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee.
The Archdiocese of Milwaukee has a membership of 674,736 Catholics in 211 parishes. There are 358 diocesan priests, 343 religious priests, and 166 permanent deacons. Religious orders include 77 brothers and 2,327 women religious.
The archdiocese houses one seminary educating 29 seminarians. It oversees 119 elementary schools, 13 high schools, and five colleges and universities.
Also included in the archdiocese are 11 Catholic hospitals and 8 Catholic cemeteries.
- John Martin Henni (1844–1881) Died
- Michael Heiss (1881–1890) Died
- Frederick Katzer (1890–1903) Died
- Sebastian Gebhard Messmer (1903–1930) Died
- Samuel Stritch (1930–1940) Appointed Archbishop of Chicago
- Moses E. Kiley (1940–1953) Died
- Albert Gregory Meyer (1953–1958) Appointed Archbishop of Chicago
- William Edward Cousins (1959–1977) Died
- Rembert Weakland, O.S.B. (1977–2002) Retired
- Timothy Michael Dolan (2002–2009) Appointed Archbishop of New York
- Jerome Edward Listecki (2010–present)
- Joseph Maria Koudelka (1911–1913)
- Edward Kozłowski (1913–1915)
- Roman Richard Atkielski (1947–1969)
- Leo Joseph Brust (1969–1991)
- Richard J. Sklba (1979–2010)
- William P. Callahan, O.F.M. Conv. (2007–2010); named Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of La Crosse by Pope Benedict XVI on Friday, June 11, 2010
- Donald J. Hying (2011–present)
Priests in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee who became bishops
The following men began their service as priests in Milwaukee before being appointed bishops elsewhere:
- Raphael Michael Fliss, later became Bishop of Superior, Wisconsin
- Jerome J. Hastrich, later became Bishop of Gallup, New Mexico
- James Michael Harvey, Cardinal, Archpriest of the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls
- David John Malloy, later became Bishop of Rockford, Illinois
- Aloisius Joseph Muench, later became Bishop of Fargo, North Dakota
- Joseph Perry, later became auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Chicago, Illinois
- Basilica of St. Josaphat, Milwaukee
- Holy Hill National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, a minor basilica, Hubertus, Wisconsin
- Archdiocese Facts
- Milwaukee (Archdiocese) [Catholic-Hierarchy]
- WEAU.com: Archdiocese ads notify abuse victims of claim deadline, 17 July 2011
- cbsnews.com: Milwaukee Archdiocese faces 550 sex abuse claims, February 2, 2012
- Archdiocese Facts
- Archbishop Sebastian Gebhard Messmer [Catholic-Hierarchy]
- Archdiocese of Milwaukee - Former Archbishops: Bishop Messmer
- Archbishop Moses Elias Kiley [Catholic-Hierarchy]
- Archdiocese of Milwaukee - Former Archbishops: Bishop Kiley
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee.|
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Milwaukee
- "Milwaukee". Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.