Eskett railway station
|Original company||Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway|
|Pre-grouping||LNWR & FR Joint Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|12 February 1864||Opened|
|11 June 1872||Closed to passengers, replaced by Yeathouse|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
|Whitehaven, Cleator |
& Egremont Railway
The line was one of the fruits of the rapid industrialisation of West Cumberland in the second half of the nineteenth century.
The section of line through the station suffered subsidence problems so severe that the company built a deviation line to an alignment curving sharply and steeply to the west, including a new passenger station - Yeathouse. When the deviation and new station opened on 11 June 1872 the old alignment was severed north of Eskett station, which was converted to a goods depot. It remained as such until final closure in 1931.
The deviation made the line even more difficult to work for the rest of its existence.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line and station closed
|Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway||Frizington|
Line and station closed
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Smith, Paul; Turner, Keith (2012). Railway Atlas Then and Now. Ian Allan Publishing. ISBN 978 0 7110 3695 6.
- Suggitt, Gordon (2008). Lost Railways of Cumbria (Railway Series). Newbury: Countryside Books. ISBN 978-1-84674-107-4.
- British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas And Gazetteer. Shepperton: Ian Allan Publishing. 1997 . ISBN 0-7110-0320-3.
- Bairstow, Martin (1995). Railways In The Lake District. Martin Bairstow. ISBN 1-871944-11-2.
- Bowtell, Harold D. (1989). Rails through Lakeland: An Illustrated Journey of the Workington-Cockermouth-Keswick-Penrith Railway 1847-1972. Wyre, Lancashire: Silverling Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0-947971-26-2.
- Joy, David (1983). Lake Counties (Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain). Newton Abbot: David & Charles. ISBN 094653702X.
- Map of the line with photos, via RAILSCOT
- The station as Parkend House on overlain OS maps surveyed from 1898, via National Library of Scotland
- The station, via Rail Map Online
- The railways of Cumbria, via Cumbrian Railways Association
- Photos of Cumbrian railways, via Cumbrian Railways Association
- The railways of Cumbria, via Railways_of_Cumbria
- Cumbrian Industrial History, via Cumbria Industrial History Society
- A video tour-de-force of the region's closed lines, via cumbriafilmarchive
- The station on its very own residual branch line, via railwaycodes