|City of Etna
Etna Mills (former)
Location in Siskiyou County and the state of California
|Incorporated as Sixth Class Town||1878|
|• Mayor||Dave Stein|
|• City Clerk||Pamela Russell|
|• Chief of Police||Joshua E. Short|
|• Total||0.759 sq mi (1.965 km2)|
|• Land||0.758 sq mi (1.962 km2)|
|• Water||0.001 sq mi (0.002 km2) 0.12%|
|Elevation||2,936 ft (895 m)|
|• Density||970/sq mi (380/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||277509|
Etna is located at . This is in Northern California near the Oregon border. Etna is located in Scott Valley next to the CPD of Greenview and the city of Fort Jones. Etna is located at the foot of the Marble Mountain Wilderness in the Siskiyou Mountain (Cascades) Range and is an attraction for hikers, rafters, climbers and people who do all sorts of other outdoor activities. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), 99.88% of it land and 0.12% of it water.(41.457350, -122.896875)
The 2010 United States Census reported that Etna had a population of 737. The population density was 971.6 people per square mile (375.1/km²). The racial makeup of Etna was 627 (85.1%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 28 (3.8%) Native American, 1 (0.1%) Asian, 1 (0.1%) Pacific Islander, 6 (0.8%) from other races, and 74 (10.0%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 26 persons (3.5%).
The Census reported that 731 people (99.2% of the population) lived in households, 6 (0.8%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 323 households, out of which 93 (28.8%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 141 (43.7%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 36 (11.1%) had a female householder with no husband present, 24 (7.4%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 19 (5.9%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 3 (0.9%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 105 households (32.5%) were made up of individuals and 47 (14.6%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.26. There were 201 families (62.2% of all households); the average family size was 2.86.
The population was spread out with 173 people (23.5%) under the age of 18, 35 people (4.7%) aged 18 to 24, 125 people (17.0%) aged 25 to 44, 251 people (34.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 153 people (20.8%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48.5 years. For every 100 females there were 101.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.2 males.
There were 359 housing units at an average density of 473.3 per square mile (182.7/km²), of which 206 (63.8%) were owner-occupied, and 117 (36.2%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 4.5%; the rental vacancy rate was 4.8%. 441 people (59.8% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 290 people (39.3%) lived in rental housing units.
As of the census of 2000, there were 781 people, 329 households, and 210 families residing in the city. The population density was 989.9 people per square mile (381.7/km²). There were 362 housing units at an average density of 458.8 per square mile (176.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 88.48% White, 0.13% African American, 6.02% Native American, 0.64% Asian, 1.02% from other races, and 3.71% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.46% of the population.
There were 329 households out of which 28.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.9% were married couples living together, 11.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.9% were non-families. 31.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.1% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 21.4% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 22.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 95.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,179, and the median income for a family was $30,461. Males had a median income of $25,972 versus $20,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $13,737. About 13.7% of families and 19.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.5% of those under age 18 and 9.1% of those age 65 or over.
- U.S. Census
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "California's 1st Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Etna.|