|Born||Eugene V. Koonin
October 26, 1956 
|Institutions||National Center for Biotechnology Information|
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Thesis||Multienzyme organization of encephalomyocarditis virus replication complexes (1983)|
|Doctoral advisor||Vadim I. Agol|
Eugene V. Koonin (Russian: Евге́ний Ви́кторович Ку́нин) (born October 26, 1956) is a Russian-American biologist and Senior Investigator at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). He is a recognised expert in the field of evolutionary and computational biology.
Koonin gained a Master of Science in 1978 and a PhD in 1983 in molecular biology, both from the Department of Biology at Moscow State University. His PhD thesis, titled "Multienzyme organization of encephalomyocarditis virus replication complexes", was supervised by Vadim I. Agol.
From 1985-1991, Koonin worked as a research scientist in computational biology in the Institutes of Poliomyelitis and Microbiology at the USSR Academy of Medical Sciences, studying virus biochemistry and bacterial genetics. In 1991, Koonin moved to the NCBI, where he has held a Senior Investigator position since 1996.
Koonin's principal research goals include the comparative analysis of sequenced genomes and automatic methods for genome-scale annotation of gene functions. His research also investigates the application of comparative genomics for phylogenetic analysis, reconstruction of ancestral life forms and building large-scale evolutionary scenarios, as well as mathematical modeling of genome evolution. Koonin's research also investigates computational study of the major transitions in the evolution of life (such as the origin of eukaryotes), the evolution of eukaryotic signaling and developmental pathways from the comparative-genomic perspective.
As of 2014, Koonin serves on the advisory editorial board of Trends in Genetics, and is co-Editor-in-Chief of the open access journal Biology Direct. He served on the editorial board of Bioinformatics from 1999-2001. Koonin is also an advisory board member in bioinformatics at Faculty of 1000.
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/CBBresearch/Koonin/ Koonin's page at the National Center for Biotechnology Information
- Eugene V. Koonin (23 June 2011). The Logic of Chance: The Nature and Origin of Biological Evolution. FT Press. ISBN 978-0-13-262317-9. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Koonin, E. V. (2004). "Eugene V. Koonin". Current biology : CB 14 (3): R96–7. PMID 14986627.
- "CV E. Koonin". http://evolution.haifa.ac.il. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- Lander, E. S.; Linton, M.; Birren, B.; Nusbaum, C.; Zody, C.; Baldwin, J.; Devon, K.; Dewar, K.; Doyle, M.; Fitzhugh, W.; Funke, R.; Gage, D.; Harris, K.; Heaford, A.; Howland, J.; Kann, L.; Lehoczky, J.; Levine, R.; McEwan, P.; McKernan, K.; Meldrim, J.; Mesirov, J. P.; Miranda, C.; Morris, W.; Naylor, J.; Raymond, C.; Rosetti, M.; Santos, R.; Sheridan, A.; et al. (Feb 2001). "Initial sequencing and analysis of the human genome". Nature 409 (6822): 860–921. doi:10.1038/35057062. ISSN 0028-0836. PMID 11237011.
- Koonin, E. V. (2011). Bourne, Philip E., ed. "Are There Laws of Genome Evolution?". PLOS Computational Biology 7 (8): e1002173. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002173.
- Koonin, E. V. (2007). "The Biological Big Bang model for the major transitions in evolution". Biology Direct 2: 21. doi:10.1186/1745-6150-2-21. PMC 1973067. PMID 17708768.
- Koonin, E. V.; Senkevich, T. G.; Dolja, V. V. (2006). "The ancient Virus World and evolution of cells". Biology Direct 1: 29. doi:10.1186/1745-6150-1-29. PMC 1594570. PMID 16984643.
- Uhlmann, F; Wernic, D; Poupart, M. A.; Koonin, E. V.; Nasmyth, K (2000). "Cleavage of cohesin by the CD clan protease separin triggers anaphase in yeast". Cell 103 (3): 375–86. PMID 11081625.
- "Faculty and Researchers". http://evolution.haifa.ac.il. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Masthead: Trends in Genetics". http://www.cell.com. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Biology Direct - Editorial Board". http://www.biologydirect.com. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "Eugene Koonin: Advisory Board Member in Bioinformatics - F1000Prime". http://f1000.com. Retrieved 3 September 2014.