This article does not cite any sources. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Eugene Marathon, is a marathon established in 2007, which takes place in Eugene, Oregon. The main event, accompanied by a half marathon, 5K and kids run, became in 2007 the first major marathon to be held in Eugene since 1984, when the last Nike OTC Marathon was staged. The Eugene Marathon traverses the regulation 26.2-mile (42.2 km) marathon distance, and is certified by USA Track and Field, the sport's governing body in the US. Nearly 5000 entrants participated in the inaugural 2007 marathon events, which featured about thirty elite athletes, many of whom were shooting for qualifying marks for the US Olympic Trials, which were held in New York City in November.
The event features live music performed along the marathon and half-marathon routes, and at the finish as well. The course is laid out primarily on city streets and bike paths along the Willamette River, following many of the roads and trails used by Oregon's significant runners, such as Steve Prefontaine, Alberto Salazar, Bill McChesney and Mary Decker Slaney.
The tagline for the event is "Running in the Footsteps of Legends" in honor of the Eugene area's history in the sport, as well as the University of Oregon's tradition of producing great runners. The Eugene area regularly hosts track and field championship events, which in the past have included several National Collegiate Athletic Association track championships and US Olympic Marathon Trials in 1972, 1976 and 1980.
The Eugene Marathon begins on Agate Street, in front of Hayward Field on the University of Oregon campus. From Hayward Field, the marathon course circles around Amazon Park, past South Eugene High School and through the University of Oregon area for nine miles (14 km). Runners then follow an eight-mile (13 km) loop through Alton Baker Park East and into Springfield. The course returns to Eugene's bike paths at mile fourteen, for about ten miles (16 km) of river trails, before finishing on track of Hayward Field.
The marathon is a Boston Marathon and US Olympic Marathon Trials qualifier event, and its certification allows record breaking performances to qualify as new world records.
- Founder/Principle: Andy Heily
- Race Director: Richard Maher
- Sponsor Director: Andy Downin
- Marketing Director: Courtney Heily
- Director of Course/Logistics: Marc Lyda
- Operations Manager: Nicole Teter (also a two-time Olympian)
- Office Manager: Tate Kelley
- Cathie Twomey Bellamy, three time US Olympic trials veteran and former 20k world-record holder
- Frank Gagliano, Oregon Track Club Elite Team head coach
- Andy Downin, former US 1,500 meter Champion, seven-time All-American in cross-country at Georgetown University
- Matt Downin, former All-American at the University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Joe Henderson, running coach, author of 23 books on running