Every Face Tells a Story
|Every Face Tells a Story|
|Studio album by|
|Released||18 March 1977|
|Recorded||September 1976, January 1977|
|Genre||Pop, Rock, Country rock|
|Cliff Richard chronology|
|Singles from Every Face Tells a Story|
US version of the album
Every Face Tells a Story is a 1977 album by Cliff Richard, the follow-up to Richard's comeback album, I'm Nearly Famous. The album peaked at No.8 during a 10-week run on the UK Album Chart and spawned three hit singles. "Hey Mr. Dream Maker" was released as the first lead single in November 1976 and reached number 31 in the UK Singles Chart. "My Kinda Life" was released as a single in late February 1977 and peaked at number 15 in the UK. The third single, "When Two Worlds Drift Apart" was released in late June and reached number 46 in the UK.
The album was released in the US with alternative artwork and an edited version of the closing track "Spider Man" (shortened by nearly four minutes). "Don't Turn Out the Light" was the first single released in the US and reached number 57 in the Billboard Hot 100. "Try a Smile" was also released as a single and reached number 48 in what was then known as the Billboard Easy Listening chart.
Every Face Tells a Story was remastered and re-issued on Compact disc in July 2002, including the B-sides of the singles.
- Side One
- "My Kinda Life" (Chris East) 3:48
- "Must Be Love" (Terry Britten) 4:19
- "When Two Worlds Drift Apart" (Peter Sills) 4:14
- "You Got Me Wondering" (Terry Britten) 3:38
- "Every Face Tells a Story (It Never Tells a Lie)" (Michael Allison, Peter Sills) 3:20
- "Try a Smile" (John Perry) 3:20
- Side Two
- "Hey Mr. Dream Maker" (Bruce Welch, Alan Tarney) 4:48
- "Give Me Love Your Way" (Alan Tarney, Trevor Spencer) 3:44
- "Up in the World" (Clifford T. Ward) 2:40
- "Don't Turn the Light Out" (Guy Fletcher, Doug Flett) 4:01
- "It'll Be Me Babe" (Hank Marvin, John Farrar) 3:20
- "Spider Man" (Terry Britten) 6:50
- Bonus tracks (2002 re-issue)
- "No One Waits" (Cliff Richard, Gary Isherwood) 3:41
- "Nothing Left for Me to Say" (Cliff Richard) 3:55
- "That's Why I Love You" (Gene Garfin, Andrew Gold) 3:09
- Cliff Richard - vocals
- Terry Britten - guitar
- Alan Tarney - bass
- Graham Todd - keyboards
- Brian Bennett - drums, percussion
- Frank Ricotti - percussion
- Tony Rivers, John Perry - backing vocals
- Mo Witham - guitar on "My Kinda Life"
- Alan Jones - bass on "My Kinda Life"
- Alan Hawkshaw - keyboards on "My Kinda Life"
- Roger Pope - drums on "My Kinda Life"
- Richard Hewson - string arrangements
- Bruce Welch - producer
- Gered Mankowitz - photography