When founded in 2006, Associate Professor Truong Gia Binh, FPT Corp chairman of management board, was in charge of FPT University chairman, while Dr Le Truong Tung was the first dean. It is the first private university to be opened in Vietnam.
Dr Le Truong Tung was in the position of FPT University Rector as well as chairman of BoD in 2011. Dam Quang Minh has been rector since September 2014, the youngest rector in Vietnam at that time. There are currently 20,000 students at FPT University studying full academic bachelor, partnership program, postgraduate, polytechnic and high school.
All instructors are required to have two years' working experience in the IT industry, and have to sit for an entrance examination. Foreign language teaching would form an integral part of the curriculum, and they aim to recruit native-speaking foreign language teachers and subject area teachers who can deliver their lessons in English. After one year of language preparation, a foreign language would be used as the medium of instruction for all courses. English would not be the only such language used; the Vietnam Software Association are working with the school's embedded software faculty to establish a programme in Japanese.
FPT University will award a scholarship named Nguyen Van Dao to honour the memory of his great support when FPT University was founded. Professor Nguyen Van Dao was a world acclaimed mathematician and one of Vietnam’s leading education administrators. Microsoft, which is a strategic partner of the managing organization FPT, have an arrangement with the university to offer training to their students on Microsoft technologies. At US$11,200 for the four-year course of study, the university's fees are extremely high, especially when compared to the US$720 cost of four years at a public university.
The fight to gain permission to open the university itself represented a rarity in Vietnam; the Ministry of Education (Vietnam) were originally unwilling to grant permission for the university to be opened, and delayed for two months the necessary approval for the university to begin enrolling students. FPT used the media to put pressure on the ministry, which eventually signed the official approval document on 15 November 2006.
The university runs a collaborative program with the University of Greenwich, England, the UK. The off-site Top-up +2, which began in August 2009, is a collaborative program between the University of Greenwich in the U.K. and FPT University in Vietnam and is currently the only program in Vietnam that awards Aptech graduates a U.K. bachelor's degree in one year.
- Software Engineering
- Information Assurance
- Business Administration
- Finance - Banking
- International Business Administration
- Graphic Design
Ho Chi Minh City
- "FPT University receives licence". Vietnamnet Bridge. Vietnam News Agency. 2006-09-28. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- Hai, Ho (2007-07-24). "FPT's Creativity City". Vietnam Economic News Online. Ministry of Trade, Vietnam. Archived from the original on 2012-09-19. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "First Private University in Ho Chi Minh City to be Established". Sai Gon Giai Phong. Party Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City. 2007-04-06. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "FPT University targeting experts, overseas professors". Vietnamnet Bridge. Vietnam News Agency. 2006-12-08. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "Embedded software: golden chance to VN enterprises". Vietnamnet Bridge. Vietnam News Agency. 2006-08-08. Archived from the original on 2008-08-01. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "Microsoft, FPT tie up to develop Asia-Pacific image". Thanh Nien Daily. Vietnam National Youth Federation. Archived from the original on 2008-05-23. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- Le, Cam Le (2006-12-25). "Blazing the trail". Vietnam Economy. Retrieved 2008-01-13.
- "Opening Ceremony of the First Foundation Classes for Off-Site Top-Up Program +2 in Vietnam".