|Directed by||Louie Schwartzberg|
|Written by||Mark Monroe|
|Narrated by||Brie Larson|
|Edited by||Kevin Klauber, Annie Wilkes|
|Music by||Adam Peters|
Fantastic Fungi is a 2019 American documentary film directed by Louie Schwartzberg. The film combines time-lapse cinematography, CGI, and interviews in an overview of the biology, environmental roles, and various uses of fungi. The film features interview segments with Paul Stamets and Michael Pollan, and is narrated by Brie Larson.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 100% approval rating based on 23 reviews, with an average ranking of 7.7/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "As visually dazzling as it is thought-provoking, Fantastic Fungi sets out to make audiences see mushrooms differently -- and brilliantly succeeds." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 70 out of a 100 by 8 reviews, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Josh Kupecki of The Austin Chronicle said "visual affectations aside, Fantastic Fungi is an engaging look at the scope of an organism that is so much more than a pizza topping or an ingredient in beef stroganoff". Andrew Pulver of The Guardian wrote "With its spectacular footage of growth and decay and impassioned speeches about the magic of mushrooms, this documentary is a treat for the eye and ear". Rex Reed of The New York Observer called the documentary "charming", while John DeFore of The Hollywood Reporter called the film an "[e]ye-opening eye candy".
According to Robert Abele of the Los Angeles Times "it edges a little too close to being a commercial, but that's a nitpick when the totality of Fantastic Fungi is so entertaining, informative and appealingly hopeful about the hard-working cure-all for our ailing world lying beneath our feet".
- "Fantastic Fungi (2019)". The Numbers. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- "Fantastic Fungi". AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center. U.S.: AFI Silver. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- Catsoulis, Jeannette (October 10, 2019). "'Fantastic Fungi' Review: The Magic of Mushrooms". The New York Times. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- "Fantastic Fungi (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved October 10, 2021.
- "Fantastic Fungi (2019)". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- DeFore, John (October 8, 2019). "'Fantastic Fungi': Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- Morgenstern, Joe (October 24, 2019). "'Fantastic Fungi' Review: Magic Mushrooms". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- Kupecki, Josh (December 6, 2019). "Fantastic Fungi". The Austin Chronicle. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- Pulver, Andrew (November 6, 2020). "Fantastic Fungi review – how mushrooms could save the world". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- Reed, Rex (October 15, 2019). "Charming Documentary 'Fantastic Fungi' Explores the Miracle of Mushrooms". The New York Observer. Retrieved August 1, 2021.
- Abele, Robert (October 24, 2019). "Review: Mushrooms are the new superheroes in documentary 'Fantastic Fungi'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 1, 2021.