|Education||University of Chile|
|Occupation(s)||Real state investor, entrepreneur, biochemist|
|Known for||Artificial lagoons|
|Title||Founder of Crystal Lagoons, Board member of Inmobiliaria El Plomo|
|Awards||Ernst & Young “Best Entrepreneur Award”|
Fernando Fischmann was born in Santiago. He attended the Grange School in Santiago and then the University of Chile, earning a graduate degree in biochemistry. In 1986, Fischmann bought 60 hectares of land at the port of Algarrobo, on the coast of central Chile, with the plan to develop a holiday resort, that is now known as San Alfonso del Mar, built around an artificial crystalline lagoon.Fischmann developed a new process for maintaining the purity and clarity of the water in large volumes and at low cost.
In 2016, he won "The Stevie Award" in its two categories: Innovator of the Year, for his sustainable vision for water usage, and Innovation of the Year, for his water desalination technology that uses no energy. In addition, the London Business School nominated Fischmann for its 2017 international innovation contest, the "Real Innovation Award" In 2021 he was awarded with The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Medal for Inventors.
Fischmann is one of the directors of Chilean Fraunhofer institute. In addition, he is director of the North America Chamber of Commerce (AmCham), and is a member of the advisory council of the business network Endeavor (non-profit).
Crystal Lagoons is an American biochemical and water services company founded by Fernando Fischmann in 2009.[failed verification] The Boston Consulting Group evaluated eight companies at US$1.8 billion, after a three years in operation.
- Ernst & Young (Ernst & Young) Archived 2013-10-18 at the Wayback Machine
- Fernando Fischmann official website
- "I was alone in a period when no-one believed it could be done", El Mercurio (Santiago) on line, 24 January 2010
- Nick Leiber, Fernando Fischmann's Power-Enabling Pools, Bloomberg Businessweek Magazine, 14 April 2011
- 2016 Management Awards Category Stevie Award Winners
- https://www.london.edu/-/media/files/news-and-events/real-innovation/860603-ria-past-winners-2016-to-2019-pdf-v1.pdf?la=en[bare URL PDF]
- Fernando Fischmann recibe Medalla para Inventores de la Organización Mundial de la Propiedad Intelectual
- Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, "Fernando Fischmann appointed to the Board of Fraunhofer Chile Research"
- "Endeavor Chile, profile of advisors". Archived from the original on 2013-09-14. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Company profile: Biochemist/entrepreneur brings blue lagoons, beachfront landscapes to region". Miami Herald.
- Ashley, Torres (20 November 2013). "World's Largest Crystal-Clear Lagoons Coming to U.S. Shores" (Press release). Kreps DeMaria. Retrieved 13 May 2014.